cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to SQL Server default instance, Error: a000848c

Jeremy_Fowler
Level 2
We have a Windows 2000 Advance Server that has three instances of SQL server 2000 installed. We are using Backup Exec 9.1 running on a separate Windows 2003 Server and it was able to connect and backup all three instances and has been working for many months now. We recently pushed out SQL Server SP3 to each of the instances. After installing the service packs, Backup Exec is now unable to connect to the default instance. The other two named instances are not effected and BE can connect to them just fine.

The Error that BE reports is:
a000848c - Unable to attach to one of the drives.

If I try to create a new job and browse to that server, select the default instance of SQL Server is:
An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of SQLSERVER. An unknown error occurred within the NDMP subsystem.

All the other instances work just fine and I am able to browse each of them.

I tried reinstalling the agent with no effect.

There appears to be nothing wrong with this instance as users have been connecting to it regularly, and I can do a manual backup of the databases in this instance from within Enterprise Manager. So it seems like its a problem specifically with BE.

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Edit the LMHOSTS and HOSTS file on the server and add the entry of the remote machine in these files.

Ensure that the remote agent is installed and running on the remote machine.

Check if the Port 10000, which is the default port used by NDMP(Network Data Management Protocol) is not used by any other application. If it is used by another application, please follow the steps given in the following Technote:
TITLE: How to change the port that NDMP uses in VERITAS Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255498.htm

Additionally also refer this technote:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262928.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jeremy_Fowler
Level 2
The server is in an Active Directory Domain with DNS enabled. The backup server is also a WINS server. I would guess that since I can connect to the other instances of SQL server running on the SAME SERVER, that it would not be a connection/communication issue. I can connect and backup files on both the C AN D drives, the system state information, and the two other MS SQL Server instances on this server. Its only having problems with just one SQL server instance, after SP3 was installed.

Any other ideas?

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hi Jeremy,

will you perform a test with the SQL server in question and check if there are any problems?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/256661

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jeremy_Fowler
Level 2
I created the .udl file and configured it to connect to the SQL Server instance BE cannot access and I was able to test the connection and see all the databases. We can connect to the SQL server instance thru ODBC from the BE server, so it seems to be a problem specifically with the Backup Exec Agent.

However, I have to make one correction. I stated I installed SP3 for SQL Server 2000. I actually installed SP4. SP3 was already installed and working fine, it was after I installed SP4 that I started having problems.

Looking at the sql server event logs at the time BE is supposed to backup the transaction logs on the problematic instance, I get this message:

The description for Event ID ( 17055 ) in Source ( MSSQLSERVER ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: 8128, Using 'xplog70.dll' version '2000.80.2039' to execute extended stored procedure 'xp_msver'.

Then I get this message when the logs are successfully backed up on the other instances:

8128 :
Using 'xplog70.dll' version '2000.80.2039' to execute extended stored procedure 'xp_msver'.

Wonder why those are different.

As a workaround, I have a Database Maintenance Plan backing up the database and transaction logs to folders on the SQL server. Then I have Backup Exec backup those folders. However, this solution is less than ideal, and I really would like to find a fix for this problem. However, I fear the only option I have left to try is uninstall and then reinstall the instance, update to SP4, and restore the databases. I really, really, would like to avoid that at all costs on this production server.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hi Jeremy,

Verify that the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers installed on the computer that is being backed up/restored is from the same Backup Exec version.

Also create a new account and define it as the default account and try the backup.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.