cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to SQL database within backup exec

Goncalo_Coimbra
Level 2
I am running backup exec 8.6 and I cannot connect to my SQL 2000 database on a remote server. The funny thing is that I could connect without any problems using Enterprise Manager. The permission are perfect. I read that there is 2 different type of agents for SQL. One agent only for SQL 7 and the other for SQL7/2000. If that is true how do I find out which version I am using.

Thanks,

G.
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
From the GUI, do Help/About

What specifically is the name listed for your SQL agent?

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
The SQL agent of BENT 8.6 supports both SQL 7 and SQL 2000.
Only if you would have updated an earlier BENT 8.5 with SQL agent (only able to backup SQL7) and you did not buy the 8.6 SQL agent, this can cause trouble.
(actually the error would be different as it would state you are not allowed to backup this application)

Try enabling SGMON and debug.log . This way you can read the SQL statements being send from BENT to the SQL server and back.

You may also try to attach as SA user of the SQL database - this works most of the time.

regards

uz

Goncalo_Coimbra
Level 2
Under the HELP about I get the following client:

Agent for Microsoft SQL Server 2000

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do you have the SQL Client Utilities installed on the media server?

Do you at least see the SQL Icon?

Goncalo_Coimbra
Level 2
Its ok. I fixed it.

SQL Agent was using I am assuming the wrong credentials because what I did was rename the BEWINUI.UNI and restarted the services and it started working.

Thanks alot,