cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot create IDR disk

herculec
Level 3

Hi,

I am having problems create and IDR disk using the wizard (Version 10d).

I get the following error message: Intelligent Disaster Recovery Preparation Wizard: Error getting file info on "\\SERVER1\c$\Program Files\Veritas\backup exec\nt\idr\data\asr.sif"

I initially tried to create the IDR disks in a non-default location which generated the same error, but resorting to the default did not help.

I also tried to uninstall the license keys and use the trial license keys but that didn't work either.

I am a bit of a backup-exec newbie so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Please review the technote below to resolve this issue.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278798

herculec
Level 3
Hi, and thanks for the reply. However I doubt that the technote has any relevance to my problem because the server in question runs SBS 2003, which is an OEM version of SBS that has been installed on the machine from new, and has not had NT installed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
You could try to Test ASR with NTBACKUP using the following notes to see if it shows an issue with the ASR components (from Microsoft) that are part of the Operating System

On the server
Stop the Backup Exec Remote Services.
Start the Removable Media Service (if stopped)
Run NTBackup (and use the Advanced mode instead of using the wizard)
From the tools menu in NTBackup select ASR Wizard
Click Next
Specify a location in a temporary folder for the Backup Media or File Name (bkf file)
i.e. D:\Test\backup.bkf
Click Next
Click Finish on the Completed ASR Prep Wizard message
Let the system get to the point where data is being written to the bkf file (or when the selection information box appears and estimates files) and then cancel the backup.
Take a look in the %windir%\repair folder (to confirm that the ASR files are being generated
- note suggest using Details view so that the file dates can be sorted on.)
Close NT Backup
Stop/Disable the removable media service (if it was originally stopped or disabled)
Restart the Backup Exec Services

If you don't get any updated ASR files, or get an error during the process then you might need to involve Microsoft.

herculec
Level 3
Hi, I started the NT backup test as suggested and a new ASR file (and a few others) were created in the repair directory.

I have also tried to repair the installation - No difference.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

After creating new asr file. Make sure to run a full backup of the system and then create IDR disk.

Thanks

herculec
Level 3
Hi Hemant,

Sorry - I don't quite understand. I can only create the ASR file using Windows NT backup. I cannot create the IDR disk because backupexec cannot find the ASR file as in the original post.

Thanks.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Yes, once you have created the asr file using ntbackup, and confirming that asr.sif file is created on c:\windows\repair folder, run a full backup of the system. Then, retry creating the IDR disk, so that new asr file is used by IDR disk creation process.

Thanks

herculec
Level 3
Thank you all that assisted. The IDR wizard now works.