cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot restore Netware files to Windows server?

Jim_Baker_2
Not applicable
I have backed up files from a Netware server to a storage server running Win2003 Server & BE10. When these files are restored to a directory on the Windows server, they cannot be read. In all cases they are simple txt files, but come out all garbled. They can all be read fine when restored to the Netware server. In the event of a failure of the netware server I would want to be able to restore data files to one of our Windows servers. I was also hoping to migrate data between Windows and Netware servers by backup/restore rather than move/copy, and testing has thrown up this apparent error.
Question is, is this a bug or a "deliberate" feature?
I have installed the latest Netware patches, this had no effect. Any other suggestions?
1 REPLY 1

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

The reason this error is reported is because the data that is being restored was backed up from a NetWare server in compressed form.

NetWare compressed files are unable to be written to a Windows-based OS folder, because Windows has no support for Novell compression format. Therefore, the restore will only be able to complete successfully if the data is restored back to a compressed NetWare volume.

The data can be restored back to NetWare in compressed form, uncompressed, backed up once again and then redirected to a Windows server successfully.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.