cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot restore individual mailbox from Exchange under BE 11

JeremyL
Level 3
I am rumming W2k3 SBS and have Backup Exec 11 for SBS.  When I try to restore an individual mailbox, I cannot select anything past the entire information store.

I have set the job to enable the restoration of individual mailboxes.  I have updated BE to all available hotfixes, etc.  I have tried recataloging my tapes and still no luck.  This worked fine when I had BE 10d, and it looks like a lot of other people are having the same problem.  Is there a fix to this?  This needs to be taken care of ASAP.

Thanks for any help/suggestions that you may have.

9 REPLIES 9

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Jeremy,

Can you give me the revision and patch level you are currently on?  You can check this from Help - About.

JeremyL
Level 3
I am currently on v11.0 Rev 7170.

The following updates are installed:  SP1, Hotfixes 17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
The backup jobs are successful I assume?

Run through this technote for me.  Enter in all 3's for the case number and select upload via FTP when prompted.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/285911

JeremyL
Level 3
The jobs do not complete successfully, but the errors only occur when backing up a separate server.  There are no errors when the SBS server (with the Exchange IS) is backed up.

I have run the VXGather and uploaded the results.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Do you have enough disk space to run just the exchange part of the job to disk?  I'd like to see if this has any different results then the backup to tape.

JeremyL
Level 3
I have tried it before to the local drive and got errors despite having more than enough drive space.  I will attach an external drive and test it again.

JeremyL
Level 3
I ran a backup to a USB drive and I can expand the mailbox store when I try to restore from it.

Still no luck on it when I try to restore from a tape in my library though.

Icecold
Level 4
I just upgraded from 10D to 11D and having the same issue. 

Can you see the individual mailboxes if you back the info store to hard disk?

If that is the case is there a fix so you can do this from tape coming?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Jeremy,

1. On the SBS Server, create this registry key.
(Check your private messages for the registry key)

2. Stop Backup Exec Job Engine and Remote Agent Service and put them into debug mode.
  • Stop the Backup Exec Remote Agent Service.
  • Bring up the properties of the Remote Agent Service, in the Start Parameters box type in -debug.  Click Start then Ok.
  • Bring up the properties of the Job Engine service, in the Start Parameters box type in -debug.  Click Start then Ok.
  • Verify the debug files were created.  Go into the Backup Exec install directory, the default is C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs.  And look for two files, one called servername-bengine##.log and the other called servername-beremote##.log.  Both should have a time stamp of when the services were started.  If you do not have both files, redo the steps.
3. Run the Exchange backup to tape. (If you can only run the Exchange backup and not your entire backup)

4. Run VxGather on both servers use all 3's for the case number and click on send via ftp when prompted. (http://support.veritas.com/docs/285911)