cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog data spanning multiple tapes

volorgas
Level 2

I have a backup set that spans across 2 tapes.  I need to restore a file from this set.  I cannot seem to catalog this set because when the end of tape 1 is reached, the job fails with the following error "Final error: 0xe0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors".

I have tried several things to get past this error.  First I inserted tape 2 and cataloged that tape, which ran successfully, however, the catalog was missing the file data for the set that spanned from tape 1 to tape 2.  Then I renamed the catalog folder and re-ran the catalog operation on both tapes.  The results were the same.  Tape 1 failed with the same error as above, and tape two ran successfully, but without the data for the set that spanned acroos the tapes.  I have also logged this with technical support and theri tier 1 support analyst was not able to resolve the problem. 

Please help, because what is the point of backups if you can't get the data off of them?

7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You need to inventory all of the tapes in that backup  before cataloging any of them

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

First Inventory all the medias that needs to be Cataloged.

Then go to TOOLS>>OPTIONS>>CATALOG and uncheck the option of "Request all media in the sequence for catalog operations"

Then run the Catalog operation again.

Note that the byte count for the Catalog job will show as 0 bytes if the Catalogs for that tape are already present.

Refer to following technotes for more information

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23126 : Application settings for the catalogs

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH45473 : Catalog jobs fail stating "The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation."

Thanks,

-Sush...

volorgas
Level 2

Ken,

I only have a single tape drive, not a library, so I can only inventory tapes one at a time and the most recent inventory wipes out any previous tape inventory.  Therefore, the second tape cannot be inventoried while the catalog of the first tape is processing.

I am starting to have a bad feeling about this.  It is begining to sound like BE is not capable of cataloging data that spans more than one tape unless there is a tape library in the environment.  Please say it isn't so.

volorgas
Level 2

Sush,

As I stated in my reply to Ken, I only have a single tape drive which means that I can only inventory tapes one at a time and the current tape inventory overwrites any previous tape inventories.  That being said, how does one catalog a backup set that spans two or more tapes with only a single tape drive in the environment?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The error message does not mean that the correct tape is not mounted, it means that BackupExec doesn't even have a reference to it in the database.

if all tapes are inventoried, when this situation comes up, BackupExec should prompt you to mount the correct volume.

If not, you should start with a BEUTIL database repair, and if that doesn't work, a repair install of BackupExec itself.  if that doesn't work, you are probably down to opening an incident with Symantec sad

volorgas
Level 2

Ken,

Ok, I deleted any instances of the particular media from the database.  Then I inventoried both tapes.  Then I re-ran the catalog, begining with tape 1.  At the end of tape 1, the catalog job failed with the same error as previously indicated.  Also, the following error was listed within the log for the backup set that spans to the second tape.

The requested media (sequence number 2 in the media family being cataloged) was not listed in the catalog's media index, and therefore, it could not be mounted.
No data from this media will be included in the disk based catalogs.
Performing an inventory operation on this media and rerunning the catalog operation should resolve the problem.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

OK,

Next step would be the Database Repair then