cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in backupspeed > much slower

Lew_johnson
Level 2
I run backup exec 9.1 on fully up to date w2k server. The tape drive is a Quantum 160/320 with an adaptec controller. The backup includes many files, also domino DB's, about 160GB. All the data is local. The backup used to run about 450MB a minute backup and >1GB verify.
The backup now runs at 150MB backup and 150MB verify. I have updated all drivers and tape microcode to no avail. Any ideas would be helpful.

Tx
6 REPLIES 6

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

1.Is any Anti-virus running on this Server when Backup is running ?

2.Are you using AOFO ?

refer the technote given below :
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237444.htm

Thank you

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Lew_johnson
Level 2
Hi The AV is not scanning and the real time file scan is set not to scan files opened for backup. I am not using AOFO. Dfrag is run on a regular bases. I have also tested the quantum drive with diagnostic tools from Quantum - it passed. TX

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you using Veritas drivers or manufacturer drivers? Try switching

You can also try oversion older drivers

From the Devices TabRight click the drive\Properties

What are blocksize, buffersize and buffer count?

Lew_johnson
Level 2
Hi, I am using the following sizing - block:64K buffer 1024K count 10 HWC 0 Veritas driver for the tape drive, microsoft for the card.

I have tried a number of drivers to no avail. TX

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
those setting should be OK

And nothing changed (eg: MS Service pack of Patch) around the time that the throughput slowed down.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

We hope the above answers your query. If you have anymore queries do revert.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.