cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV and netbackup and change journal

yobole
Level 6

Know Problem 

When NetBackup detects a change on reparse points can't use the journal.

EV placeholder are reparse points: when EV modifies the filesystem, NetBackup switches to the  track log method without journal. In this case, backup is anyway faster than a legacy backup without accelerator, but slower than an accelerated backup with journaling enabled.

Situation:

We have a file server running EV and an Archive folder on the server which we then archive. Obviously due to this folder we cannot use the windows change journal.

Thinking aloud why not create two Netbackup policies for this server. One to exclude the archive folder and hence change journal should work and then one to back up the archive folder only hence change journal will not work??

Any thoughts or comments 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As i said you would need to test that .. my impression was that it was per volume rather than per directory but yuou can either test it (you can't beat actually running a real life test) or start researching it here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/aa363798(v=vs.85).aspx

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I think the problem is that although you can exclude the folder for accelerator I dont think you can for the change journal as that is more global .. it would require a test but not sure exactly how NBU queries the change journal in terms of the structure .. it may not be able to use it due to the reparse points within that file system

I guess there is only one way to find out....smiley

Please do let us know the results

yobole
Level 6

Thanks Mark, so really it does not matter if I exclude the Archive folder or even create a dedicated volume for the archived data. Change journal will NOT work except I completely take EV away from the server

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

As i said you would need to test that .. my impression was that it was per volume rather than per directory but yuou can either test it (you can't beat actually running a real life test) or start researching it here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/aa363798(v=vs.85).aspx