cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of SQL database location

Dene_English
Level 3
We currently have a stand-alone server running just SQL Server 2000 (full version). This holds other databases for our needs. Can I install the first media server and make it the central admin server and point it to use the SQL server installation as it's database, without backup exec being installed on the sql server?
I have tried this and it creates the database (at install time of the first media server) but when I run jobs and stuff nothing gets put in the db. Is this setup possible, or do I need to have backup exec installed and it be the central admin server?
9 REPLIES 9

Sagar_Kamat_2
Level 6
Thank you for submitting this support query. When you install Backup Exec, you are prompted to select a location on which to store the Backup Exec database.

- You can create a local Backup Exec MSDE instance on which you store the Backup Exec database.

- You may use an existing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 instance (with service pack 3a installed) that is on the network.

So, you can install the central admin server and point it to use the an instance that is on the SQL server.

Note When Backup Exec is installed into an existing instance, the automated master database restore feature is not available. To recover the Master database, you must replace it with the Master database copy that Backup Exec automatically creates and updates when the Master database is backed up. When Backup Exec is installed into an existing instance, the Cluster Configuration Wizard is not available.

Dene_English
Level 3
Thanks for your reply.

I've discovered that when I install using the local database option, all is fine but when I choose a remote sql server, the machine sets up the database on the sql server then finishes the install and reboots. When it reboots, a message comes up saying the pvlsvr.exe service has encountered an error. The faulting module is dbutil.dll and none of the services will start.
Any thoughts?

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

This may happen if Backup Exec Device and Media Service can not be started after upgrading the operating system of a SQL 2000 server to Windows 2003 and/or applying MS Hotfix 821334.

In order to isolate start BackuP Exec Device and media service service and verify whether you receive the following error "Error 1067: The process terminated unexpenctendly".

You may refer to the following link as an additional information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831997

We hope this will help.

Dene_English
Level 3
Hi.

I have checked the box and it definitely is the device & media service that will not start with a 1067 error.

I have also checked the hotfix's installed on the SQL server and 821334 isn't among them. The box runs windows 2003 server but it was a fresh install and never upgraded.

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
Hi,

We need some more information to provide you correct solution,

Check whether you get any error(s) in bkupinst.log (Drive:\WINNT) or (drive:\Windows)

Please let us know the exact error.

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

In addition to that kindly let us know whether
you installed the followig Hotfix from Microsoft ?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831997

You may install this hotfix and check if the issue gets resolved.

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Hello

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress. However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Regards,
Gaurav

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply.

Andreas_Kirch1
Level 3
You wrote:

Note When Backup Exec is installed into an existing instance, the automated master database restore feature is not available. To recover the Master database, you must replace it with the Master database copy that Backup Exec automatically creates and updates when the Master database is backed up.

???

Does it mean, that I do have to replace the current version with a backup that was created at the time where BE was installed?

Where is that copy of "master.mdf" stored?

I already searched:
%Program Files%\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data
%SQL Standard Folder%\MSSQL\Data
%SQL Standard Folder%\MSSQL\BACKUP

Nothing to find...

And: really detach the current and attach the old one?

- Andreas Kirchner