cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change the Catalog path to a network drive

Oscar_Jimenez
Level 2
Is it possible to change the Catalog path to a network drive? or to apply compress to the catalog folder in my W2k Server?

Thanks,
Oscar
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The catalog files are already pretty compact, so I don't hink that you'll gain much there

I've never tried locating the catalog files on a share on a different server, but if you do try, be sure that you specify in the format \\Server\Share\Directory rather than DriveLetter\directory.

When the backups run there is no environment so there are no mapped drives.

Oscar_Jimenez
Level 2
Well, my Catalog folder it's now 800 MB, any reason that could have this size of info?

I will try to move to the network path, and I'll let you know.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
One of the options from Tools\Options\Catalogs is to trim the catalogs after a certain period.

What this does is keep the header on file, so that the tape is protected, but deletes all the detailed file info.

To restore from a "trimmed" tape volume, you must re-catalog first

The size isn't too bad. I've had over a Gig of catalog on one of my servers. When you plan out the purchase of a new backup server (or the server that backups will go on) just keep in mind that the catalogs can get veryu large, and spec it out accordingly

Oscar_Jimenez
Level 2
The Network Path change was not successfull because it asks for a Drive so, i backed up the catalogs and work with new ones.

Thanks anyway,
Oscar