cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing media from one group to another

gshathaway
Level 3

What we currently do –

Currently we use backup exec to do a full back up every day.  On Monday we send the tapes to come back months later, while on Tuesday through Friday we send tapes to come back the next week. We use a script to run this job.

What we want to do –

Instead of changing the script once a week to run a different job, if I changed the tapes on Monday to be associated with a different media set would we be able to recover using these tapes and would the catalog update to reflect the change we made?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

So you have multiple media sets and 1 job, right?

If so, change this to run in a policy...a GFS policy (grandfather/father/son) will give you what you need. Monthly, Weekly, Daily backup jobs, and these can be targetted to specific media sets. No need to script anything. Media would be added to the required media set based on the job that runs.

Check the Admin Guide for your version on how this all works.

I couldn't find a link on the Symantec site, so check out this 3rd party website that details how this is all done...

http://astolstechblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/create-policy-based-grandfather-father.html

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

Hi,

So you have multiple media sets and 1 job, right?

If so, change this to run in a policy...a GFS policy (grandfather/father/son) will give you what you need. Monthly, Weekly, Daily backup jobs, and these can be targetted to specific media sets. No need to script anything. Media would be added to the required media set based on the job that runs.

Check the Admin Guide for your version on how this all works.

I couldn't find a link on the Symantec site, so check out this 3rd party website that details how this is all done...

http://astolstechblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/create-policy-based-grandfather-father.html

Thanks!

gshathaway
Level 3

So doing this we could make it so that on the first Monday of the month would be the grandfather, and the remaining Mondays be fathers? We have Backup Exec 2012.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you are doing full backups everyday, GFS does not apply to you.

You need to define 2 media sets with 2 different OPP, one for your Monday job and one for your job for the rest of the week.

Define 2 full backups, one scheduled for Monday and the the other for the rest of the week.  With these two jobs, you don't have to use any script to switch jobs, etc.  The jobs are targeted to the media sets defined in the earlier step.

CraigV

...I suppose you could, yes. You'd not end up running a proper GFS policy (monthly/weekly/daily), and it's more of a hybrid backup...as such you could do a custom policy and just have Monthly and Weekly backups.

Just make sure your rules are set up correctly.

Personally, GFS makes more sense if you throw a bit more protection in there in the form of a Daily backup...

gshathaway
Level 3

We currently run veeam to backup the VMs. Veeam allows you to run a script at the end. We use Backup Exec to write to tape. I wanted to see if there was a way backup exec could do it. Thank you for the information.

CraigV

...not really sure that I follow your original post though...what do you want BE to script? All Veeam does is call a script...ie. run a Backup Exec job.

I don't even bother with this...I just schedule a BE job for early morning, or a couple of hours after the original Veeam job completes...