cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing policy/job / section list name keeping history

Bill_Parnell
Level 3

Hi there all,

Is there a way to change an active job's name while maintaining its history?

I know that I can remove the jobs from the policy then recreate them, however this also removes the jobs history.

We have altered a selection list that was for one server to add more, however the original name was for the individual server.  We changed the selection list and policy names however it has not been reflected in the active job list.

Any info appreciated.

Best Regards,

Bill

5 REPLIES 5

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Nope you can't edit the job properties when its active

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I know that I can remove the jobs from the policy then recreate them, however this also removes the jobs history.

This is not true.  Suppose you have Job A,  the job logs for the previous run of Job A will be available until either they are deleted during a database maintenance run because they are too old or when the media set created by the job is deleted.  This is even so when you delete Job A.  The job logs will still be retained.

Bill_Parnell
Level 3

It has been my experience that when deleting jobs for a policy then recreating them, after changing the name of the selection list etc, the job history (as obtained from right clicking and selecting view history on the job) is removed.  This is because when jobs are deleted from a policy and recreated they are essentially different jobs.  The old jobs are still reflected in the media until they expire, but are not directly available in the job list.

I have since found that you can rename individual jobs.  This has allowed me to rationalise the jobs with the policy and selection list again, however it would be nice if changing the name of a selection list or policy the change is reflected in the created job list.

Thanks for your input.

Best Regards,

Bill

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you delete a job it is deleted from the job list, but whatever instances that were run previously is still present in the job history (lower right pane of the Job Monitor tab), provided the media has not been overwritten.  (See attached screenshot.  The history of my 2 deleted policy jobs are still present).  When you click on the job instances, the joblog will appear.

Bill_Parnell
Level 3

Ah, right.

I think that I have been talking at crossed purposes. 

What I was talking about was deleting the jobs associated with a policy then recreating them.

that removes the link to the job history.  Because the specific job has been deleted (even though there may be a new job with the same name recreated by the policy. 

What I was asking is whether there is any way of reassociating the jobs that have already run to the "new" job.  I expect that there is not! 

Thanks for your reply though.

Best Regards.