cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning media error during Dup to Tape job

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I run a duplicate to tape job and when it completes it fails with V-79-57344-33332 - Library error - attempt to clean a drive in a library with expired or bad cleaning media.

Why am I getting 'cleaning media' errors in my dup to tape job?

Then the last error is 'Connection to target system has been lost. Backup set canceled'

2 REPLIES 2

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

I believe that the "failure to clean" alert is coincidental and didn't cause your backup job to fail.  BE doesn't normally attempt to clean in the middle of a backup job.  I believe that the real reason your job failed was the "lost connection" error.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If your tape drive asked to be cleaned despite of being cleaned recently, then it is an indication that the tape drive is faulty and needs to be replaced.  Run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility against the tape drive.  Make sure you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand.  If the diagnostic utility shows an error, then it is easier for you to convince others that the tape drive needs to be replaced. Otherwise, you would still need to replace the tape drive if the cleaning demand persists.