cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe0008516 - Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed. Final error category: System Errors

giannis_bouras
Level 3

Hi there,

I have a Windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition 64bit and I have Backup Exec 2010 R3 installed.

I had successful backups for the last three years.

I tried to create a new backup job three weeks ago and was never successful. I did update the software with the latest update and then after that I NEVER had a succesful job.

I installed from scratch Backup Exec and the agents to the servers but still is unsuccesful.

I backup 6-7 servers - NONE OF THEM IS AN EXCHANGE but I do get the following errors.

Capture.PNG

I tried what is said on the link V-79-57344-34070 but the problem was not solved.

I have installed the licence keys needed

CaptureLicence.PNG

The Servers are VM and I try to backup to Disk or Tape but still get the same errors.

11 REPLIES 11

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. Are you doing off-host backup? 2. Are you backing up the VM's as if they are physical machines? What is the hypervisor?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Any VSS errors / warnings in the event viewer ?

Is DFSR being used ?

Have a look @ this KB as well - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH72903.html

giannis_bouras
Level 3

On the event viewer I get the following error

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "KEUKBKUP1") (Job: "Full Backup to Tape") Full Backup to Tape -- The job failed with the following error: Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.
 For more information, click the following link: 
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

I don't back up the VMs as physical machines.I do backup them as Network Machines

DFSR is not used on the servers I'm trying to backup.

VJware
Level 6

Are there any VSS or volsnap events in the application or system logs ?

Does the backup of the local server itself complete successfully ?

giannis_bouras
Level 3

No I don't have any log apart from the one i posted about Backup Exec.

I've also run vssadmin list writers to all servers and there was NO ERROR anywhere.

I don't run a seperate job for the local server itself.

VJware
Level 6

Setup a small backup job of the local server and check if its successful or not. If its successful, then try creating a small backup job for each of the resources. Check which jobs are successful and which are not.

Also, as pkh asked earlier, are you using offhost / ADBO backup ?

giannis_bouras
Level 3

I started doing a backup of the local server right now.

No I don't do the offhost or ADBO backup.

giannis_bouras
Level 3

The backup was successful on the local server.

So what's next?

VJware
Level 6

Setup a backup for each virtual machine one by one and check if any of them errors out or not.

Colin_Weaver

1) Check the details (text view) of your backup selections you may have somehow created conflicts betwen includes and excludes that is resulting in nothing to backup. Genaral suggestion is do not use an Exclude against a folder where you are tying to use includes against subfolders inside the excluded folder. Instead deselect everything and then only use includes on the subfolders.

2) as well as don't try to backup DFSR via the file system, also do not try ot backup files associated with database technologies as the only files selected in the job. In other words don't specifically expect to backup mdf, ldf, edb etc files from the file system as only having these fiels types selected in a job with no other file types will record the same error.

giannis_bouras
Level 3

1)I've checked the selection list, there is NOTHING in the exclude list.

2)I dont backup any of the servers that have DFS enabled or any files associated with db technologies.

The main point is that the server was backing up for the last three years and after some updates it is not.

I now try to backup one by one all the servers and get back to you with the results.