cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compression Problems

Level 2
I have Exec ver 9.1 with a Sony AIT drive, The compression ratio reported is 0.963:1. it seems that the data is being expanded as its written to the tape. These are 35GB native tapes and I can't get more that about 33Gb. nowhere near the 45 I need. Any suggestions or possible fixes? Thanks In advance.
4 REPLIES 4

Mike_Wallace
Level 3
1) If you are not using software compression provided by BE, comsider it. It's much better than hardware compression as it can build larger dynamic hash compression tables in the OS memory pool at run time than in the tiny tape drive. His compression algo's are lame at best.
2) If your target files are executables and images, they're not very compressable.
3) The inverse compression ratio you are seeing is likely due to overhead loss; your data are not likely being expanded (:-)
good luck

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

In addition to the above reply, please refer to the following technote:

- Please refer to the following technote for compression details:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm

We hope this will help.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Hello,

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived.

Thanks.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply