cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating rotating B2D targets, using NAS storage devices, in BE2010 R3?

rg-tandemdx
Level 3

I have a couple of 4TB NAS based storage devices, that I want to use for my rotating backups.   Can I use the same sort of instructions for creating a rotating set of B2D targets, to be taken offsite as non-premises failsafe backups, using the same instructions as outlined in Symantec How To Article HOWTO55855?

In that article, it mentioned creating USB drives as unique standard B2D devices (i.e. X:\Monday, X:\TUESDAY, etc.)

With NAS based devices would I be able to do the same, just by giving each NAS device a unique IP address (i.e. \\10.10.10.2\Backup1, 10.10.10.3\Backup2, etc.)?

Will BUE 2010 R3 automatically recognize when the NAS device has been removed from the network, and the next NAS device has been reconnected, in the same way that it can now recognize when a USB drive has been removed/reconnected to the server?

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  There is no way for BE to know when the NAS is attached/detached from the network.  You would have to manually mark those folders online/offline.

For USB drives, the OS tells BE when the device is plugged/unplugged to the system.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You could set up a CMD file to run a few miniutes before the job starts to Pause and UNPause all of your B2D Devices

The one(s) that are connected will show in BackupExeca as Online.  If they are all in a media pool and the job is pointed at the pool, the job should run normally