cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D2D (backup-to-disk) and D2T (backup-to-tape) Configuration Concerns

KES
Level 2
Didn't quite find the answers in the prior entries... or at least didn't recognize them...

Recently acquired Symantec Backup Exec 11d to handle our data backup needs.  My environment is simple, 1 DC 2k3std, 1 NAS 2k3app, 1 Media Server 2k3std-64 (hosting BEWS11d and PV124T), with ~30 client workstations xpsp2.  BEWS license include AOFO and ADRA options.  Remote agents have been deployed.

Selection lists (33) are configured ('separate backup selection list for each computer').  Exclude list is configured.

B2D folders (33) have been created for each computer resource.  'COMPUTER A' B2D folder, 'COMPUTER B' B2D folder, etc...

Father, Son backup policy was created including a duplicate backup set template.  Is there a simple method by which to route backups from Policy to an individual B2D folder?  This seems to be a lot of manual editing... which adds copmlexity to the system.  If I changed my policy to route all servers to 'SERVERS' B2D folder, all workstations to 'WORKSTATIONS' B2D folder, etc... is there a configuration setting which allows multiple jobs to be writting to the same folder simultaneously?  My experiment has led me to believe the jobs can only handle one at a time to a single destination folder. 

An important note to add is that since my media server is of finite capacity, I am expecting only to host the most current full and differentials for immediate access, while all others will be migrated to tape on a weekly basis.  How do I successfully stream my 33 jobs into 1 cohesive tape on a weekly basis?  I have included a duplicate backup set template within my policy, but am uncertain if it will simply write the backup set and overwrite the last set written that week.  - Yes, I am still having trouble with setting the proper overwrite and append protection timelines. 

Lastly, has anyone worked with WOL to ensure computers are up and running prior to the job being performed? 

Thanks for your assistance! 
Regards,
Kelly Schmidt

2 REPLIES 2

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
B2D folders (33) have been created for each computer resource.  'COMPUTER A' B2D folder, 'COMPUTER B' B2D folder, etc...
Well that's your choice, but I wouldn't have bothered - I'd create one B2D folder and let BE handle the media management within it.
Is there a simple method by which to route backups from Policy to an individual B2D folder? 
Not that I know of. Having a single B2D folder would mean you wouldn't need to do this ;)
is there a configuration setting which allows multiple jobs to be writting to the same folder simultaneously?
Yes. Go to the Devices view, right click your B2D folder, choose Properties. You can select the number of concurrent operations allowed.

KES
Level 2
Thanks for the input!

I did run an experiment with the singular B2D folder, and it didn't quite work as desire, but it is a function of the overwrite and append periods.  I will have to work harder to find the balance. 

As to the concurrent streams into a single folder, I hadn't notice the setting under each individual B2D folder created under the the media.  I had only noticed the global settings under Options.  Thanks for pointing it out. 

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,
Kelly Schmidt

Message Edited by KES on 08-07-200708:44 AM