cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS exchange 2000

molari001
Level 3
I am receiving the following error whwnever the snapshot tries to run for my cps backup of exchange:

Unable to truncate the transaction logs for storage group Microsoft Information Store because the Continuous Protection Job that was protecting it failed to replicate the logs in a timely manner.

I found the following article http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287706.htm with the follwoing information:

.. Do not allow name resolution problems to prevent communication between the Backup Exec Media Server, the CMS and the Exchange Server. Failed name resolution will result in an inability of the servers that occupy these three roles from proper communication and will result in an inability to replicate the Exchange transaction logs and will result in Recovery Point jobs failing to truncate logs which will result in a failed Recovery Point job with the following error:
Warning: Unable to truncate the transaction logs for storage group Microsoft Information Store because the Continuous Protection Job that was protecting it failed to replicate the logs in a timely manner.
Final error: 0xe000fea9 - The Backup Exec data store encountered a problem during the operation. See the job log for details.
If or when this occurs, once the name resolution problem has resolved the Recovery Point job can be restarted by stopping and starting all CPS services on all three CPS servers (the CPS CMS, the BEWS Media Server and the Exchange Server), right clicking the failed Recovery Point job in the Job History and selecting Retry Job Now. ..

I have checked and there are definitely no name resolution problems that I can find.  Both machines can resolve each other both by fqdn and windows name.

Please help, I am not sure what to try next.
5 REPLIES 5

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Is this a failure of a Recovery Point job?  If so, I've seen this before, at the time it was a DCOM error causing the failure.  For kicks, select your Full backup job and select to Run Now (resubmit it) and then see if the Recovery Point jobs run fine afterwards.

Let me know.

molari001
Level 3
Yes this is a failure of a recovery point job.  I have manually started both the full backup and the recovery point jobs and get the same results every time.

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Can you provide details of your enviornment please, such as OS, service packs for OS and Exchange, etc.

Also, provide me details for your Exchange CPS job (schedule, recovery point job schedule, etc) and anything else you might think is relevant.  (3rd party utilities etc)

I'll see if I can reproduce it as well.

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Also, any errors in the event log for the system or application.

molari001
Level 3
Backup server is windows 2003, backupexec11D with all updates.  Exchange is exchange 2000 running on windows 2000.  No errors are reported in the event log.