cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB2 authentication using Remote Agent

Bruno_Ranzini
Level 3
Hi all,
I have a Backup Exec 11d 7170 server with all hotfixes installed.
I need to use the DB2 backup agent on a remote server that has Remote Agent and AOFO installed.
I have a problem with DB2 authentication while configuring the Remote Agent.
Both the media server and the DB2 server are Windows Server 2003 R2.
When I set the DB2 local instance name (that appears automatically from the drop down list) and the username and password to authenticate I receive (all the times) an error that says (translating from Italian): Unable to perform authentication at the moment. Try again later.
Just to verify if it was a timeout problem, I tried to authenticate using a worng username and password combination: in that case I, obviously, receive a "username or password worng" message; no "try later" or something that can make think of a timeout problem.
Disabling the security function called DB2EXTSECURITY from the DB2 configuration solves the problem, but the DB2 admin told me that he would prefer to leave that option active (it is enabled by default when installing DB2) for security reason.
The DB2 log output when trying to authenticate with the DB2EXTSECURITY option active is:

2007-10-01-15.24.22.193000+120 I1984H422          LEVEL: Severe
PID     : 2528                 TID  : 3728        PROC : db2syscs.exe
INSTANCE: DB2                  NODE : 000
APPHDL  : 0-7                  APPID: *LOCAL.DB2.071001132422
FUNCTION: DB2 UDB, base sys utilities, sqleattach_agent, probe:60 RETCODE : ZRC=0x805C00A9=-2141454167=SQLEX_INVAUTHID "Authid invalid"
          DIA8117C Error with userid "".

My question is: is disabling the DB2EXTSECURITY option mandatory to use the Backup Exec DB2 agent or there's another way to let Remote Agent authenticate against the local DB2 instance without setting that parameter to off?
Thanks!

Bruno Ranzini
2 REPLIES 2

Brendan_Foley
Level 3
Have you entered proper credentials in the Database Access tab of the remote agent utility? This account needs "domain admin"-type privs. You will also need an account within login accounts that has access into your database setup on the media server.

Bruno_Ranzini
Level 3
Hello,
to configure the Remote Agent I used the DB2 admin, which is a local user created on the DB server with local admin rights (by the DB admin).
The service account for Backup Exec on the media server is a Domain Admin.
The point is that if I disable everything works fine if I disable the DB2EXTSECURITY option, and the DB admin would prefer to leave it on. I don't know if using a local admin user to configure the Remote Agent can cause this problem.