cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DELL PowerVault 132T Tape Library with 11D...is it working for anyone?

Frederick_Mutua
Level 3
Hi.

I am at a loss here, we have a DELL PV 132T unit with 2 LTO 3 tape drives and I can not get the drives or the Tape Libray to show in the Back Up Exec Devices. 

The server is a Windows 2003 Dell 2850 with an Adaptec SCSI Card 39160 in it.  The devices show in device manager (with the yellow !), but are all there.  I can run the tapeinst.exe and it will apply the Symantec drivers to the drives, but they never show in the device manager window.   How do I load symantec trivers for the tape libray or should it be using the ones already there by Dell?

I am new to Backup Exec, we are converting from Yosemite backup; since we just deployed Backup Recorovery also.  Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Dave
11 REPLIES 11

Frederick_Mutua
Level 3
Still looking for help on this issue.

Thanks!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Dave,

Does the library show up in device manager?  It should be listed under medium changers.

After you run tapeinst the tape drives are not listed in device manager after the reboot or do they just not show up in the Devices tab in BE?

Can you check your event viewer to see if there are any errors coming from the library or scsi card?

Frederick_Mutua
Level 3
Ben,

Yes the library does show up in device manager, but not in the BE device tab. 

Since the first post I also have attached an EXABYTE VXA 1x10 1U   VXA-2 device and it does show in BE, but not the drive. The changer shows up under robotic libraries, but noting as robotic library drives.

I still can not get the Dell PV 132T to show at all in BE.

I have no errors on the scsi in the event viewer.

Thanks,

Dave

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Dave,

As for the VXA 1x10 and drives, when this is attached do any of the drives show up under stand alone drives?  If so, just run through the device configuration wizard and move drives to the library.

Do you still have the PV132T attached?  If so, run through this technote and upload the file to the ftp.  For the case number just use all zero's. http://support.veritas.com/docs/285911  Let me know the file name so I can take a look at the information.

Frederick_Mutua
Level 3
Ben,

No the drive does not show in the stand alone drives, the documentation did talk about that if it happened, but it just never shows.

The file has been uploaded and it is 000-000-000_fmic02.cab

Thanks,

Dave

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Dave,

Ok few things.

1. Stop and Disable Removable Store.  This can cause a conflict with Backup Exec.

2. Normally not a problem, but as a general best practice we suggest not having the Library on SCSI ID's 0 and 1 unless it is a LUN device.  This is not  LUN device, so I would suggest moving the changer to ID 2 and the Drive to ID 3.

3. You are getting errors coming from the SCSI Card (system log), Event ID 11's.  This could be causing your problem as well.  You may want to look into these.

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    adpu160m
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    11
Date:        8/7/2007
Time:        3:31:36 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:  
Description:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\adpu160m1.

Regards,

Frederick_Mutua
Level 3
Ben,

I have set the SCSI ID's as follows:

CHANNEL A ID 2 - the DELL PV-132T
CHANNEL A ID 4 - 1st drive in the PV-132T
CHANNEL A ID 5 - 2nd drive in the PV-132T

CHANNEL B ID 2 the Exabyte VXA 1x10 autoloader
CHANNEL B ID 3 the Exabyte drive

I have disabled the Removable Storage Service.

I still can not see the drives, but do see both changers now.  The drivers are showing Symantec Drivers, v5.1.25.0 for the tape drives.

I am looking in to how to clear the Event ID 11's; any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

Problem_antivir
Level 2
Hello, i have same problem with powervault 132t, i installed backup exec 11d, i get this message : Storage device configuration error.Problems were encountered during the configuration of your storage devices. Please use the Windows Event Viewer to view the Application Log for more information.
When i gone to event viewer i have : Backup Exec Alert: Device Error
(Server: " XX") Storage device configuration error. Problems were encountered during the configuration of your storage devices. Please use the Windows Event Viewer to view the Application Log for more information.
 For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

Please anyone to help me ?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Dave,

Can you send me a new vxgather I want to see the changes you have made.  Also for the event ID 11's, it could be a driver/firmware issue.  You may also want to check your cabling, I have seen in the past where a bad cable caused the issue.

Problem AV installtion,

1. Does Device Manager list the Library and Tape Device?
2. Is the library listed as Unknown Medium Changer?  If not, please update the driver so that it is.
3. Are you running the Symantec Drivers for the tape drives?  If not, please run Tapeint.exe to install them. (Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec)
4. Check the System log for any errors coming off the controller or library/tape drives.
5. Verify that the library is in random mode not sequential.

Thanks,

Problem_antivir
Level 2
Hi all, my powervault 132t is working fine now, i must reset all settings for my powervault.
Thanks and bye

nobodi_speshul
Level 3
Hello Dave -

When you review the devices in Device Manager (mangler? ... sorry, had to say it) do you still see the yellow ! indicators?

Erik