cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DFSR and VMWare agent

Support_team
Level 4

I am trying to set up jobs for all my VMs in BE 2012 and find there is a shortage of information for each system.

In trying to find info on backing up DFSR shares I came across this in the Best Practises VMWare doc

Create separate backup jobs for file servers and application or database servers. When you create file server backup jobs, be sure to uncheck the options on the Use Backup Exec Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) to enable the restore of individual files and folders from Virtual Machines on the Options dialog box.

Does this mean the VMWare agent does not allow you to perform GRT backups for file servers? I would have thought file servers would have benefited most from GRT. Is the solution to backup your file server as if it was a physical server.

Any info on backing up DFSR share using BE 2012 would be appreciated.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Does this mean the VMWare agent does not allow you to perform GRT backups for file servers? I would have thought file servers would have benefited most from GRT. Is the solution to backup your file server as if it was a physical server.

VMware agent will allow you to perform GRT backup/restore of the file server only if you install Remote

agent for Windows (RAWS) on the VM. With VMware agent RAWS license is not required if you are

backing up flat files. However Agent for App and Database license will be required to backup any 

application (Exchange or Sharepoint) or Database (SQL or Oracle).

Any info on backing up DFSR share using BE 2012 would be appreciated.

You need to select DFS data through the shadow copy components of the server

EDIT: Refer to below articles on DFS/DFSR

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/dfs-and-dfsr-backing-your-distributed-file-system-backup-exec

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56841

Support_team
Level 4

Thanks can you advise why the best practises doc would tell you to specifically untick the GRT options. I know the agent needs to be installed to perform GRT but this comment concerns me.

AmolB

I guess its a typo, instead of "Uncheck" it should be "Check".

Let me get in touch with the concern team.

Support_team
Level 4

Thanks, the doc for backing up DFS in the link you sent me does not mention virtual infrastructure. I just want to check that the procedure is the same for virtual and physical.

AmolB

Procedure remains the same for Virtual Machine if you install RAWS.

Support_team
Level 4

Thanks, will you let me know about the typo when you find out?

AmolB

Sure

Colin_Weaver

I supect the typo should state uncheck but then state the application items check boxes for GRT instead of all of GRT. As a file server would not need them.

However with regarsd DFSR, GRT enabled VMware agent backups do not support technologies that distribute or replicate data across multiple VMs. This means Exchange DAG's, Sharepoint Farms and as far as I know DFSR is not supported inside a VM for GRT operations - the exception to this comment as Active Directory is supported for GRT.

AmolB

Below is the udpated article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74443