cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISK BACKUP SCHEDULING SUGGESTIONS

Dan_Carmi
Level 3
Hi. I am using 11d, and was wondering if someone could give me suggestions on scheduling disk backups? I'd like to run on a two to three week backup rotation, but so far the only way I can see doing this is by creating three backup to disk folders and then creating jobs for each day that recurring every two-three weeks. This is cumbersome, especially when I need to modify job properties. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Ronald_Pereira
Level 3
Do you plan to run Incremental or Full backups? I Have created 4 folders for disk backups and labeled them by week, and created my policy based on week too.

So basically you can have ex:

On disk:
WEEK1
WEEK2

Policy:
WEEK1
WEEK2

So under each policy you can define a few jobs using specific job selections and then select the WEEK1 folder.

Hope this helps.

Dan_Carmi
Level 3
I see what you're getting at, but is there no way to limit the number of jobs that I have? Basically, if I was using tape, and I do a weekly full and a daily differential, then I have two jobs becase the tape simply gets cahgned out. But with disk, I need to create a job for each day of the week when a differential runs for the first week, a weekly full job, and then I need to repeat those steps for weeks two and three. Any way to avoid this?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Why not just two jobs/two media sets pointed at the B2D Folder as if it was a Tape Drive. Set your Overwrite like you would with Tape

Oh- That's right, I forgot.

v11d doesn't overwrite disk files, even after they have expired, it just keeps opening new BKF files til it runs out of space. See several threads in this forumMessage was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Ronald_Pereira
Level 3
Hi,

I didnt realise 11d does not overwrite disk files. How can I expire the data so that the disk space is availble. Must I manually delete it?