cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO 6 - Need Help with 3 "issues"

B_C_2
Level 2
Hi! We are running DLO 6 and appear to have 2 outstanding issues that I would like help with. I�m not sure if it�s a configuration issue, or an issue with the application and wanted to see how to address these issues and or hear from others if you experienced similarities.

Issue 1) Delta Transfers. I don�t believe this is working as I modify a file that is 111kb with another 111kb and 222 is transferred. I modify it again with another 111 and now 333 is transferred. In the log it shows these values. I�m thinking Delta is not working, or is it? How can I tell? As far as I can tell, the Maintenance Server is installed and enabled on the data area of the server.

Issue 2) PST files with incremental enabled should only keep one revision regardless to what the revision tab is set to per documentation. The PST does not do this and generates revisions. How do I fix this?

Thank you very much in advance!
5 REPLIES 5

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

1. Have you enabled incremental backups? Ensure that this option is checked so that only the file changes will be backed up.

2. What are the number of file revisions that you have set? Do you want one or many revisions? Check in Profile, (Select profile), properties, Backup selections (select apropriate), Modify, Revision Control, and specify the number of file revision that DLO must to retain, when file are modified.

Revert if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

B_C_2
Level 2
Hi! Thank you for your response. Yes, incremental backups are on by default in our environment, but what I�m not seeing is the incremental backup take place from the workstation to the file server. My question is does the incremental take place at the workstation level to the file server or from the file server to the NetBackup? If it�s supposed to do incremental backups at the workstation level to the file server this is not happening even though we have incremental selected.

For the PST file we have 2 local and 2 network set. According to the DLO documentation, if you have message level incremental enabled, revisions tab doesn�t apply when applying revision control to PST files. So there should only be one instance. Note, since my posting, this is now the case where I only see one instance. But I didn�t see this until I did an experiment and deselected Delta File Transfer, but then re-enabled Delta File Transfer. I would like to understand how Delta File Transfer plays a role when it comes to PST files and since there�s a separate option for incremental message for the PST. Do both need to be enabled or should only one be enabled?

I believe what I�m looking for is extreme detailed guidance on the handling of PST files from how they should be setup in the profile and so forth.

Thank you!

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

Following Article might help you:
How to configure Backup Exec Desktop and Laptop Option to perform incremental backups of Outlook .pst files
http://support.veritas.com/docs/268078

Please let us know if you need any further specific help.

We would suggest you also go through the Admin guide. Here a link for the Download in case you do not have copy of the admin guide already:
VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269777.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

B_C_2
Level 2
Hi! Thank you for your reply. I have seen this article on how to configure a PST and also have thoroughly read through the admin guide. Unfortunately what the article says is not what I�ve physically seen happen in our environment and the admin guide is not clear in describing where the incremental activity takes place.

The PST files were being backed up as multiple revisions when I setup the profile as described in the article. It wasn�t until I unchecked the �Delta� option and then reapplied the option that there was only one instance. The profile also does not allow �desktop data folder�. Before I made the change to �delta� this was true and no files were kept locally, not even the PST. When I made the change to Delta, the PST is now keeping a local cache. Only the PST is caching locally, but the profile is still set to not allow desktop data folder.

My observation is that desktop data folder needs to be enabled for PST incremental and single instance. Is this correct? Does this apply to all delta backup options where they need a local cache?

My other question, which is tied loosely to the PST question is how does the incremental and delta work? Does the workstation only send delta�s to the file server or does the workstation always send the whole file to the file server and then from the file server to the DLO Server it sends delta�s based on the profile setting?

How Delta�s work is not explained in the admin guide or any support doc that I can find as to where I should see the delta activity. If the delta should take place from the workstation to the file server, I�m definitely not seeing that happen. In the log activity it is showing 111kb sent local and 111kb sent to network. I make a 111kb change to the doc and I see in the log 222kb sent local and 222kb sent to network for example. If delta�s were taking place from the workstation, wouldn�t I see another 111kb instance instead of the full file being transferred again?

Along those lines, compression is not taking place that I can see in the log although compression is enabled. The log is showing the actual size of the file being transferred to both local and network. Where does compression actually take palce?

Thank you!

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Could you please also update us o the exact version of Backup Exec for Windows Server you have ?

If BEWS 10d then apply SP1 and HF 30 for DLO

http://support.veritas.com/docs/282818
http://support.veritas.com/docs/283222

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.