cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database does not exist

Greg_Adourian
Level 3
Hi,
Backup Exec seems to have stopped working 3 weeks ago on a system that I'm occasionaly called to manage/fix.
Backup Exec is 9.1 with most patches installed except SP2, 9.1.4691 Hotfix 1, 9.1.4691 Hotfix 47.

Here are events logged:
EventID 7023
The Backup Exec Device & Media Service service terminated with the following error:
The database specified does not exist.

EventID 7001
The Backup Exec Job Engine service depends on the Backup Exec Device & Media Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

EventID 7001
The Backup Exec Server service depends on the Backup Exec Device & Media Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

I have already read and attempted to follow troubleshooting instructions from various support documents. So far, it seems that "BEDB_dat.mdf" is locked by a process which is preventing me from taking any of troubleshooting steps.

DocID 274102: Can not attach "BEDB_dat.mdf'" as I get "Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState:42000) - Error 5123: CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 32 (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.) while attempting to open or create the physical file 'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEDB_dat.mdf'."

DocID 267799: OLEDB32 is OK

DocID 265051: Password has not been changed recently

DocID 274119: Server name already listed but unavailable

Repair attempt failed with the following:
"ERROR: Device activation error. The physical file name 'C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEDB_dat.mdf' may be incorrect.

I ran SysInternals' Handle, if I understood the output correctly MS-SQL has the mdf file locked.

What other steps can I take to troubleshoot and fix this problem?

Thanks

Greg
15 REPLIES 15

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please install SP2 from the link given below.

(title) VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 2

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275247

You may also refer to the technote given below.

(title) Backup Exec 9.x Device and Media Service fails to start and "Event ID 1068" and "7001" error are reported in the Event Viewer

http://support.veritas.com/docs/256189

If this dosent work then try repairing the Backup Exec database.

(title) How to run a Backup Exec database repair when the original Backup Exec database is found to be inconsistent

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

Thanks.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the answered threads pool.

Greg_Adourian
Level 3
Hi,

SP2 installation failed at the point where it's trying to access the mdf file, to replace it or erase it. (See original e-mail)

ID 256189 does not apply as the service in question is already running.

ID 265180 - database repair did not work. See original message for details. Note that contrary to the requirement, some BE services are not running, therefore this step is failing as well.

Pls advise. Thanks

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Refer this document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/267799

And also try the following steps:

1. The Backup Exec services and the MSSQLSERVER Service utilize the same service account.

2. The password is changed for the service account and the MSSQLSERVER service login is not updated to reflect the password change.

The password of the service account should be updated in the logins of the MSSQLSERVER service whenever the service account password is changed. To change the MSSQLSERVER login information, perform the following steps:

1. Open the Windows Services Applet

2. Select MSSQLSERVER and double-click to bring up the service properties

3. Change the password to reflect the new service account password

4. Restart the MSSQLSERVER service after changing the password

5. Restart the Backup Exec services

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Greg_Adourian
Level 3
Hi,
267799 was previously checked. I checked it again. OLEDB32.DLL is NOT a mismatch.
The only mismatch files are listed below.

As for the password for MSSQLSERVER service, it was currently set to Local System account. I changed it to administrator with its appropriate password. Still the Backup Exec Devices service did not start.

-
-

-

-

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly run the MDAC Component Checker to check if there any mismatched dlls versions on the computer where Backup Exec is being installed.

To fix this error, download the MDAC Component checker from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8f0a8df6-4a21-4b43-bf53-14332ef092c9&DisplayLang=en

Install the cc_pkg.exe file that was downloaded. Then run cc.exe file that was installed.

Click OK to Perform analysis of your machine and automatically determine the release version.
If it determines that it is version is 2.8 RTM, click Yes to re-run the query for a specific product release.
Select the second option: Perform analysis against a selected version. Click the down arrow and select MDAC 2.8 RTM from the drop-down list.

If OLEDB32.DLL is mismatched, it can prevent the Device & Media service from starting.
Stop the MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service in Windows services.

Replace the OLEDB32.DLL file in c:\program files\common files\system\Ole DB. Check the properties of the file, and select the Version tab to confirm that the version is 2.80.1022.0.
Restart the MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service in Windows services.
Technote: MDAC Troubleshooting steps.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/205122.htm

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Greg_Adourian
Level 3
Hi,

I gave the answer to this questions 3 times now.
No, according to the analysis, the OLEDB32.DLL is NOT mismatched.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

We apologize for the inconvenience. You have mentioned that you followed the document 274102. What were the results? Did it give any errors while performing the operations mentioned in it? If yes, at which step?

Also look for the bkupinst.log (by default in WINNT if you have Windows 2000) and search for return value 3 in it. Please paste the error message.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Greg_Adourian
Level 3
The answer to your question was written right after I mentionned that I followed the document in question.

This forum is useless. I had posted my troubleshooting steps and results from the first day. And all I keep on getting asked are to do the same steps over again.

I don't think any of you read my original post in full.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

SAVE OLD DATABASE:

First go to Beutility and dump database. (This will dump the existing database to the BEDB.bak file)
Then copy the whole data folder at another location (other than the drive on which BEWS is installed)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
FRESH DATABASE INSTALL:

Sent you the fresh database (which is a BEDB_dat.bak file as attached with this mail)

Rename the existing BEDB_dat.bak file to BEDB_dat.old

Copy the to the VERITAS\Backup exec\NT\Data folder
Start all the Backup Exec services and MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service

Run BEUTILITY
Right click on server name
Select Recover database
- Drop existing database and reload from base

Verify that all Backup Exec services are started, if not start them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
GET OLD DATABASE BACK:

Rename the BEDB.bak file to BEDB.old in the existing DATA (Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT) folder.

Copy the BEDB.bak from the saved DATA folder back to the existing DATA folder.

Run BEUTILITY
Right click on server name
Select Recover database
- Drop existing database and reload from backup

Verify that all Backup Exec services are started, if not start them.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Jim_Overly
Not applicable
We are haveing the exact same issue with all the exact same errors. We have also followed all the KB articles suggested. I now have two servers within the last 2 weeks at seperate locations suddenly having the same issue.

The only mismatches I am showing is

ODBCP.DLL expected version=2000.85.1022 0
SQLSRV32.dll expected version=2000.85.1022 0
msxml3.dll expected version 8.40.9419 0

I am not aware of any recent M$ hotfixes applied or any new apps. A repair install fixes the issue for a short period of time (1 day) and then the issues returns.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

If you have MDAC dll mismatches and the expected version are higher than the ones present, you need to force install th dll's that are mismatched for this you need help from Microsoft Support.

Greg_Adourian
Level 3
Dumping failed:

Starting database utility operation.
Dumping the contents of BEDB database to disk.
Error: Database dump to disk failed.
Database utility for server JUPITER ended with errors.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Greg,

Your current bedb database seems to be corrupt would you prefer in these circumstances to go for a new database. In doing so you will loose all configuration and catalog data.

Please let us know your thoughts on the same.

Greg_Adourian
Level 3
OK. At this point, I don't mind.
I have already opened an incident ticket by phjone as this forum was not leading me anymore.
I was asked to shutdown SQL server to be able to make a new DATA folder. The SQL server is always used, I need to schedule a downtime an proceed with the intructions of your colleague.
What are the steps required for your suggestion? Is it the same as what I'm doing now?
- Shutdown SQL service
- rename DATA folder
- create new blank DATA folder
- copy in the .bak file
- and I forgot what the command was to "restore" from backup.

tnx

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

These are the same steps however we request you to continue the troubleshooting with Veritas Voice support due to the complexity of this issue.
Please keep us updated

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.