cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dedup Duplicate to Tape

mlariv
Level 2

Hi,

I am a consultant tasked with rebuilding a Dell Deduplication appliance on a BUE2010 R3 environment.

Currently I am having trouble bridging the gap with SLP's.  How can i rehydrate and duplicate to tape the backups?

The backup policy I have specifies to:

Backup Exchange 1 & 2 to Dedup & Keep for 3 Months

-> Monthly Duplicate from Disk to tape and store in media set for 7 years.

Thank you,

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well, you'd simply create your primary backup jobs pointing to the dedupe folder which is in a media set with a specific Append/OPP settings.

Then, using the TN below, you create your duplicate job to duplicate the previous backup to tape:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24544

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi,

within your policy if you run 1, you can add in a stage that will duplicate to tape. This is going to automatically rehydrate the data...you don't do anything. Your tape media should be a separate media set with the correct Append/OPP settings on it so that it doesn't assume any existing media set settings.

If you don't have a policy in place, you can still add in a rule that duplicates to disk.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you talked about policy, are you referring to a policy in BE or your brief?

mlariv
Level 2

CraigV I have seen that in SLPs in NetBackup but that does not appear to be a feature in BUE 2010.

I dont exactly know how to do this in BUE2010 but I'd like to have a single job and selection list to do the following:

Exchange Backup

-> Monthly full to Dedup (3 month retention)

+ Duplicate to tape for 7 year offsite retention

-> Nightly diff to Dedup (3 month retention)

Fileservers, DB's and Oracle Backup

-> Weekly full to Dedup (3 Month Retention)

+ Duplicate to tape for 7 Year Offsite Vault

-> Nightly diff to Dedup (3 Month Retention)

I would say weekly average backup is around 20TB of which there is 27TB usable storage available on the dedup appliance. Delta is unknown at this time but will adjust accordingly once a working backup strategy is in place.

I know this would be very simple in 2012 with the deduplication option, but that is not currently an option in the current budget..

Thanks in advance,

mlariv

CraigV

Well, you'd simply create your primary backup jobs pointing to the dedupe folder which is in a media set with a specific Append/OPP settings.

Then, using the TN below, you create your duplicate job to duplicate the previous backup to tape:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24544

Thanks!