cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deduplication maintenance job related query

WikiDonor
Level 6

Hello

We are using BE2010R3 and we have locally attached volume on the machine which is being utilized as dedup storage.

The backup jobs currently doing backup to dedup folder and duplicate to tape library. And I also backup shadow copy components of media server to protect dedup folder for DR situations.

I saw one of the technical articles on reclaiming space manaully by running process queue and garbage collection with compaction commands manually. But while reading the article it mentions that the process queue runs every 12 hours (12.20pm and 12.20am) and on weekly basis garbage collection runs at 2.40am on sunday morning.

My concerns is what will happen to the backup jobs while the maintenance job runs do they increase the disk activity or the maintenance operation will not run untill unless I have no jobs running in job monitor. Becaue currently my shadow copy dedup backup is running at 1.5gb/min which used to run at 7gb/min.

Thanks everyone for reading this post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The dedup maintenance jobs run regardless of whether any backup jobs are running

WikiDonor
Level 6

Hello Pkh,

thank you for the response but If maintenance runs while backup job runs then this will increase the disk activity.

Vishal_Shinde
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi WikiDonar,

This is a good question, while running the Dedupe backup, the de-duplication writer orchestrate the I/O on the disk, to ensure consistency of the Dedupe data being backed up.

It will freeze the I/O on the disks generated by the maintenance cycle post committing the ones which are already initiated.

So while attempting this there are wait cycles introduced, which delays or slows down the backup process.

The backup will run faster when there is no queue or dedupe maintenance activities.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards,
S

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. Definitely there will be an increase in disk activity during the dedup maintenance. It should not be difficult to avoid running dedup backup jobs during the dedup maintenance time. You can run other jobs which backup to other media at these times

WikiDonor
Level 6

Hello Sasha2008

That is a good explaination. But can you share any official white paper which also speaks similar to what you said in your post.

Vishal_Shinde
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello,
I don't think we have any white paper on the internal functions of Dedupe.
However I will intiate a talk with our KM team, if they can accomodate this information in terms of any public documents.

Regards.
S