cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop User Data folder Protection

Joanna_Duffy
Level 2
Hi,

I am trying to find out the answer to this question but having no luck whatsoever.

As a company our users 'My Documents' location is changed to another partition which is encrypted, so that if the laptop goes missing and someone hacks in, they cant access thier data. 

With DLO the option to backup locally when offline is attractive, however it stores the data to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Symantec......  My question is this:

How can I protect the data that is backed up to the C:\ drive?  There is no point in encrypting my documents on the other partition if the data is being copied to the C:\ drive and is not encrypted. 

Also, does the Desktop User Data folder keep full copies of the files it backs up?  If someone were to steal the laptop, and find these files, would they be able to open them and see the sensitive data????

I hope this makes sense, and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
1 REPLY 1

Catherine_-_IT_
Not applicable

How come only part of the disk is encrypted? I have used PGP to encrypt the whole of the disk for my users so the issue you mention is not a problem.

Can the data actually be accessed at this temporary location?