cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential Backups using Modified Time on Thecus N8800Pro

Rick_Schnabel
Level 2

I'm trying to use backup exec 12 to create full and differential backups of our thecus N8800Pro (firmware 3.04.00.1).

I have not installed a remote agent on the thecus server but I can connect to it through a user-defined selection. And I can get a back up that completes successfully with the exception that it could not completely protect the remote computer because the backup agent was not installed.

The problem is that my differentials are backing up all files and not just the files that have changed since the last full backup.  (Yes, my full and differential backups are using the same selection list.)

Is it possible to get these backups to work correctly with the modified times without installing a remote agent on the thecus server?

If not, is there a module to install the remote agent on a thecus n8800pro.

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Your problem is not due to the fact that there is no agent on your NAS.  It is because somehow your NAS changes the modified time of the files, perhaps during a housekeeping job.  You can check whether this is true by observing the modified time of the files.

Have you tried using the archive bits method?

I hope that you have purchased a remote agent licence for your NAS.  Although you are not installing a remote agent, to backup a remote server, you still need a licence to comply with licensing terms.

teiva-boy
Level 6

I do not think modified time would work on a user defined share, only archive bit.  

As for an agent, you cant install one, but you as pkh mentioned, do have to buy an agent for compliance reasons to back up that box, even if nothing is actually installed.  Though depending on the flavor of linux on that box, you may be able to get a RALUS agent on there?  

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I have a feeling that the modified time option needs a local journal - which is activated by RAWS (so won't work) and the achive bit probably won't work either as it needs a file system that supports archive bits and RAWS to change it.

As such working set might work but if not I think you are running into a configuration that can't be supported.

Rick_Schnabel
Level 2

Thanks for all your responses.

The modified times don't look like they are being changed by our NAS.  Files that have a modified time of last year are still being backed up during my differentials.  So it looks like Colin might be correct about the modified time needing a local journal.

The archive bits won't work because the thecus box only allows the owner of the file to change the archive bit.  Which means my backup user can't reset the archive bit after the full backup, and the archive bit won't be set if the file is changed by someone other than the owner.

The working set seemed like it might be a viable option until I looked at the data.  The thecus sets the accessed date when it creates a file, and it never changes after that.

It looks like the modified time is the only way I'll be able to correctly identify files that have changed since my full backup.  I asked thecus if there was a way to install the remote agent on our NAS.  Their answer was basically that there is no way to do it unless I install a 3rd party module which will void my warranty.  We do have a RALUS agent, so I'm going to try to install that and see what happens.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Just verify the flavor of linux on that box first!  It could be a flavor or suse or redhat that *may* work....