cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential backup ran, but then remained in Queued status

Henry_Tjham_2
Level 3
Hi,

I would appreciate help in the following situation. I tried to list all the relevant information and what I did.

DELL PowerEdge 1800, Small Business Server 2003, Backup Exec Ver 10.1 Rev 5629, Installed Updates: SP1 with Hotfixes 26, 27, 29, 33, 34. Using Removable Backup to Disk - Iomega REV.

This morning Backup Exec showed that my daily differential backup of last night is in Queued status, with no related active Alert/Error whatsoever. Here's what it showed in Job Monitor:

State: Active
Job Name: Differential Backup
Device Name: REV
Job Type: Backup
Job Status: Queued
Priority: Medium
Percent: N/A
Start Time: 9/14/2006 9:00 PM
Elapsed Time: 13:06:25
Byte Count: 12,422,418,597

As you can see, it actually ran because the byte count was not zero. This behavior has never happened before, and I suspect that it might have something to with Windows Updates that I installed on my SBS 2003 last night at 6:45 PM. The following updates were installed:

KB912442 - Security Update for Exchange Server 2003 SP2 - Non-cluster
KB916803 - Security Update for Exchange Server 2003 SP2 - Non-cluster
KB920685 - Security Update for Windows Server 2003
KB921883 - Security Update for Windows Server 2003
KB922582 - Update for Windows Server 2003

I searched on the internet and on veritas.com for any docs or KBs or discussion threads that might help with the Queued status, and nothing relevant is found. So, I proceeded to Cancel the job, and try to Run Now to see if it might work somehow or to see at exactly what point it turned into Queued status.

Instead the job failed with the following error: "Differential Backup -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding."

I stopped and restarted all Backup Exec services, then tried to Run Now again. This time it remains in Queued status, the elapsed time started counting, no active alerts/errors, but the byte count remains at 0. So, quite different from what I encountered in the first place.

I cancel that one and Run Now one more time, and this time it failed with job engine not responding error. Any subsequent cancel and Run Now produced the same error. I searched the error on the net and veritas.com and found many different suggested solutions, but they are mainly related to Ver 9.1. Therefore, I'm quite reluctant to try them without first hearing what this forum can offer.

In summary, the Windows Updates might have caused the ran-then-queued situation, but now there's also the problem with the job failing due to "The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding".

Please help.
Thank you.

Henry
4 REPLIES 4

Henry_Tjham_2
Level 3
Help please? Thank you.

Henry

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Do you have the error only for differential jobs?

Also try the following:
1. Stop the BE services
2. rename catalog folder to catalog.old
3. start the Be services
4. try running a new job

Henry_Tjham_2
Level 3
Hi,

It also occurred with full backup jobs.

Anyhow, yesterday, here was my plan of action on troubleshooting this:
1. Run BEUtility Repair Database (ran it, didn't help)
2. Install be5629RHF31_284103 patch/Hot Fix 31 (installed it, restarted server, error solved)
3. Rename Catalogs folder (never got to this as now everything runs okay)
4. Install MDAC? (never got to this)
5. Recreate Backup Jobs & Selections (never got to this)
6. Reinstall Backup Exec (never got to this, thank God)

I've been hesitant to intall the patch mentioned above because it seems to be more relevant to Windows 2003 R2. I'm using regular Windows 2003 that comes with SBS 2003. The patch had been available since July 10, 2006; and I've been ignoring it and everything was always fine, until the latest Windows Update was installed last week.

Anyhow, now everything's back to normal since yesterday, and I'm very glad I didn't have to go too far down my list of action plan. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will keep up...

Thanks,
Henry

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Thankyou for the update.