cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Recovery of Server 2003 without DC or DNS possible?

Aaron_Gabrielso
Level 3
I need to do a disaster recovery of a failing RAID array on my only domain controller. This server is also my only DNS server. Will a remote recovery work from my media server without a domain controller to authenticate to, and without a DNS server?

The backups run fine, but I am worried that when I rebuild the array and start the restore, it won't be able to find anything. Any difference in this scenario between using IDR versus manual recovery?

If I lose this server I am dead meat.

Aaron Gabrielson
IT Manager
Redmond Minerals
801-319-6876
7 REPLIES 7

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi Aaron,

Please refer to the following documents.

"How to recover a system with a RAID array using the Intelligent Disaster Recovery Option "

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190616.htm

"Disaster Recovery of a remote Windows 2000 or 2003 computer (includes non-authoritative restore of Active Directory for a domain controller)"

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236286.htm

You can also refer to the following document which contains the list of shortcuts for IDR and DR.

"Disaster Recovery shortcut list "

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/261700.htm

Hope this will help you.

Please revert if we have not understood your problem.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Would you be able to do the restore? I think you would, though you may have to add an entry to the hosts file. I wouldn't offer any guarantee though!
As a way of getting round it, could you temporarily add another domain controller? Maybe promote the BE Media server? That way you're minimising the risk.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Aaron,

Could you please Update us on the Issue?
Is your Querry answered?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Aaron_Gabrielso
Level 3
I decided to play it safe so I setup an additional domain controller and DNS. However, the intelligent disaster recovery was not able to connect to the media server and do the restore. The product flat out failed to work. I posted elsewhere about this issue, but bottom line I was able to get my money back from Veritas on this. I don't recommend anyone buy IDR. Huge waste of time and money.

There is not any information in the documentation about recovery of your only domain controller. But I didn't try it.

Aaron Gabrielson

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Could you please Update us on the issue....

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Aaron_Gabrielso
Level 3
Hello? Did you read my above post? I said I didn't try doing it without a DC. I setup another one.

Aaron G.

shweta_rege
Level 6
closing the case as Mr Aaron changed the setup