cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster recovery

Peter_Downes
Level 0
I have a Dell Poweredge 2600 server that has a 6 HDD RAID 5 configuration. One of the hard drives died, and has been replaced. The RAID cannot rebuild because of errors on another HDD. The server is up and running without a redundant drive. I now need to do a full disaster recovery and rebuild the hardware. The server is a Windows 2000 Server with Veritas BE 9.1.

I will do an IDR recovery from a CD image. I have a Sony DLT 36/72 8 tape magazine device. I want to do a full backup, and then do a recovery onto 5 HDDs (removing the one that has generated errors).

My concerns are:
1. Can I recover onto 5 drive RAID 5 when I used to have 6 drives?
2. How will the recovery work if multiple tapes in the magazine are used for the backup?
3. Are there any additional tips or precautions that I can take...this is a mission critical server with a large SQL database?
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As long as the rARAID array has sufficient space, BackupExec does not cate how many drive make it up

Inventory and catalog each tape in the Backup set before starting the Restore

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

In addition to Mr Putnam's reply, you may like to refer to the following technote to know more about IDR procedure:

The Intelligent Disaster Recovery process, step by step
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192923

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.