cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk based media catalog procedure

harjinder_singh
Level 3
Dear All,

I used to take backup of my exchange server on the disk folder and then to the tape.It used to be veritas 9.0
I have now veritas 11d with sp2.I have managed to restore the folder on the disk.I need to restore this folder now to exchange server.
Whenever im doing it , either its giving me the error that some media is not catalogues or missing etc.
I have used several tapes to do that , stopped the veritas services and renamed the catalog folder.

my question is that i have the folder now on the disk.I have inventoried it.and its successful.How and which media i will select to start cataloging.The media which says sequence number 1 , because their is no option to right click on the folder and select catalog.You need to select particular media i believe.

Pls help, its been 4 days now i am trying to restore this.

Thanks

HARRY
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If more than one BKF file was create by the backup job, all of them must be inventoried before you can begin cataloging

For future reference, don't do regulare backup of your B2D folder(s).  Instead, do a DUPLICATE job.  This way, you can restore directly from the tapes

harjinder_singh
Level 3
HI Ken,

Luckily one B2D folder is working now.
Can you pls explain me what do you mean by :
"For future reference, don't do regulare backup of your B2D folder(s).  Instead, do a DUPLICATE job.  This way, you can restore directly from the tapes"

One job which will backup the server to b2d folder and the other job will do the backup of the server to the tape directly ?

if thats so , then what is the use of b2d folder.
If im mistaken pls correct me.

thanks

HARRY

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You backup to disk for speed, then DUPLICATE to tape for off-site storage (or simply to clear room on your B2D Device).  You can use policies to do the B2T as soon as the B2D finishes, or run them manually whenever you want

When you do a regular backup of the B2D folder, all you get are BKF files on the tape.  When you DUPLICATE, BackupExec logocally copies the info, so that the catalog reflects all the servers\shares\folders\items and you can directly restore directly from tape without having to restore the BKF files  to disk first

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 04-02-2008 12:30 PM

harjinder_singh
Level 3
HI Ken,

Thanks its pretty much clear.

Is their any document online for this which i can follow to create duplicate jobs for tape and disk.

thanks

HARRY

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
See the Admin Guide page 435