cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk to Disk OK - Moving the data to tape is the issue!!?!?!

Camel
Level 3
Hi All,

Can anyone advise what is the best way to get my disk to disk data to my tape drive? (I have a twin LTO3 drive unit btw.)

I currently have A LOT of data to backup, and I have got the jobs set up manually on a per server basis, so there are 19 different jobs, all taking different amounts of time. I have not set these jobs using policies or anything like that, just manually creating each job.

As all the jobs are of varying lengths, finishing at different times, I would like to know the best way to get the data to tape. Should I be using a duplicate backup set?

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? I do have the admin guide, incase you were wondering!

Cheers, C.
3 REPLIES 3

Camel
Level 3
Also, if I set up a duplicate job for each of my 19, will that use 19 different tapes? or will they all append to the same tape (or tapes, if I am running a twin tape backup unit)??

Pierre_Jansberg
Level 2
No, you dont have to use 19 tapes, you can share tapes between backups without any problem.

But I really think you should consider using Policys instead. That way you have more control setting up your backupjobs.

/Pierre

Message Edited by Pierre Jansberg on 07-26-200705:53 AM

Lou_Buffetta
Level 5
Employee
Hi Camel

A Duplicate job is the preferred method. However, you can simply backup the Backup-to-Disk folders to tape.

How to back up a Backup-to-Disk folder to tape media