cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk-to-disk justification

Mike_Miller_2
Level 2
I'm trying to implement a disk-to-disk backup system but am getting some pushback from management. Of all you folks who have done this, what did you use for your justification? Was there a payback?

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Kerm
Level 5
There were two primary issues in my case. The most important was the "backup window". I cannot start my backup before 1:00 a.m. and have to be finished before 6:00 a.m. If not, I do not have a backup we could consider restoring due to production activity. The second issue was to allow a backup to stay "online" until the next backup which allows a very fast restore of any data from the previous working day.

An additional issue was that we periodically restore a very large amount of data from the production to development systems. Disk to disk is faster than tape to disk. These were also the reasons for installing a private backside gigabit network and switch that improves backup/restore/copy throughput.

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
The main issue I have with disk to disk backups is disaster recovery. Assuming the data and the backup data is on the same site, if something bad happens, like the building burns down, you've lost both the data and its backup.

At my place we've setup a load of disks in caddies, so we literally swap them round each day just like we would otherwise do with tape, thus getting the best of both worlds. In our case we chose disks due to the capacity versus cost implications, as at the time LTO1 was still new and expensive, and it worked out cheaper.

If you want the speed benefits of disk to disk, I'd recommend either doing something similar to what we've done, or use the staging backup feature, to backup the data first to disk, and then back that data up to disk, where the backup window is no longer an issue. You can then restore bits and pieces as required from the disk, and have a copy of the data on tape which can be taken off-site each night, or kept in a fireproof safe (though I'd personally prefer it off-site, rather than relying on being able to get access to the safe, while the firemen do their thing!).

Kerm
Level 5
Keith is on the money. D2D backups must go to secure off site storage in some form. This usually means putting your D2D backups to tape and then taking them to off site storage.

Off site secure storage can be an expensive proposition costing thousands per year. We're fortunate. Across the parking lot is a bank branch with safety deposit boxes. No weekend, holiday, after-hour access, but the cost is only hundreds of dollars per year.

Ben_McBeen
Level 3
For us here, it has been a simple fact that backup windows are no longer sufficient to support the data being backed up. Our weekend backups were beginning to skirt 48 hours. We had 6 tape drives going all weekend, but it did not help. Add that to the cost of having 6-10 partially filled cartridges, and the math gets ugly too. By moving to disk based backup, we have dropped our window to 5-6 hours, and save loads on tape by duplicating all the jobs to one set of tapes. Plus we now only maintain one changer/tape drive. Support resources internally are now available for other projects.

The initial cost in our case was high, but so far it has paid very nice dividends.

Danny_Satterlee
Level 3
Not knowing what D2D you're referring to, I'll give you my two cents worth. We've been backing up remote clients to disk, not tape or local branch servers. Our reasoning is that centralizing the data to our corporate servers is much more advantagous (monetary and management wise) than doing it on site (get rid of the on-site hardware expense).

We manage the what, when, and how all backups are handled and the speed to disk is acceptable (especially with the synthetic backups). The option is still there to continue the process if we choose to backup this data offsite. Redundancy is present with the corporate backup because if the branch goes down, we have it on the NAS .

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer this white paper.
http://eval.veritas.com/mktginfo/products/White_Papers/Data_Protection/wp_bews10_bu_to_disk_v2_final.pdf

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.