cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need both the Windows Agent and SQL Agent

BCIT
Level 2

So I've spoken to several resellers, and I'm getting different answers from each of them which is extremly frustrating!

Basically all I want to know is I have Several windows 2008 + 2012 Servers as follows:

Server 1 - Backup Server with SQL database

Server 2 - Biometric Server 

Server 3 - Media Server with SQL Database

Server 4 - Access Server with SQL Database

The ones with SQL on obvioulsy need the Applications and Database Agent to backup the database, but do they then also need the Windows Agent to backup the system state OR does the Applications and Database Agent also include the Windows Agent in it?

So do I need the one license, or two for each SQL Server?

Seems like a simple enough question but somehow no one that I've spoken to can answer!!?  Please Help!!!! :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

licensing a database agent allows you to install the RAWS agent, so no need to buy a separate RAWS agent license.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

licensing a database agent allows you to install the RAWS agent, so no need to buy a separate RAWS agent license.

Thanks!

BCIT
Level 2

I've since had this answered by a Symantec Technician! For anybody else who may have this issue, the SQL Agent includes the Windows Agent so I would not need them both.  

In the scenario I gave above, I would need 3 SQL Agents and 1 Windows Agent + a License for the Main Backup Centre.  

CraigV

...your assumption is correct, yes.

Thanks!