cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do not see my sql databases in restore

bubbanm
Level 3

In restore if I go to the folder my sql databases are in I don't see any of my databases listed. The folder is checked to do a backup but in restore the folder is empty. Any ideas? I'm running a windows server with sql 2003.

4 REPLIES 4

HiDefGator
Level 3

When the SQL Agent is enabled it tells the file backup process to skip the databases.   This way they aren't backed up twice or reported skipped because the files were in use. 

You should select the databases for backup under the SQL server resource.   Then in the restore view they will show up as SQL databases that have been backed up.

ailsharad
Level 3

Hi bubbanm,

if you do not have teh agent and you need to run backup of MDF and LDF files then you need to stop the SQL services and then run the backup .

if even after stopping the services the files are skipped then follow the tech note

http://support.veritas.com/docs/259152

then stop the SQL services and then run the job it will work .

but my suggestion is to use the "agent for microsoft SQL server" option for backing up SQL databases .

Thanks & Regards

Sharad Ail

bubbanm
Level 3

So you mean do a bcakup of the database inside sequel then use backup exec to backup the sql backup?

HiDefGator
Level 3

No.  In the backup selections window there is a SQL server instance displayed.  Underneath it are the databases for that sql instance.  If you select them there you are doing a sql agent backup of the database. 

If you just go select the files that make up the database under C:\program file\.... then you are not using the sql agent.