cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have some graphics or visual info for performance (MB/s) comparission between ndmp and 'normal' backup?

fedegil
Level 2

I'm interested in see lab comparissions between both kind of backup / restore, I need to compare the MB/s.
Thanks in advance!

fedegil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not sure there is any such thing as a normal backup when we are talking about NDMP compatible devices (for Backup Exec a normal backup would almost certainly usually be considered as one that uses a remote agent which never applies to NDMP NAS devices as you can't install an agent on them.

Your choices are:

1) Tape library attached to back of NDMP compatible NAS, use NDMP Option to backup

2) Tape library or disk storage device located on media server, use NDMP option to backup

3) Tape library or disk storage device located on media server, use CIFS shares to backup

yes all 3 of these will show performance differences in any single environment, but they also all have different pros and cons for other reasons. As such performance may not be the key thing you should be looking at. For instance :

NDMP backups can only be restored to NDMP devices running a similar operating system as held the orginal data.

Share level backups can be restored to more locations but can only backup what is presented via a share and will not be able to do any form of incremental backup. Share level backups will also always alert to state that the remote agent was not found.

Oh an sorry but I can't provide any performance comparison data as I don't have any

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not sure there is any such thing as a normal backup when we are talking about NDMP compatible devices (for Backup Exec a normal backup would almost certainly usually be considered as one that uses a remote agent which never applies to NDMP NAS devices as you can't install an agent on them.

Your choices are:

1) Tape library attached to back of NDMP compatible NAS, use NDMP Option to backup

2) Tape library or disk storage device located on media server, use NDMP option to backup

3) Tape library or disk storage device located on media server, use CIFS shares to backup

yes all 3 of these will show performance differences in any single environment, but they also all have different pros and cons for other reasons. As such performance may not be the key thing you should be looking at. For instance :

NDMP backups can only be restored to NDMP devices running a similar operating system as held the orginal data.

Share level backups can be restored to more locations but can only backup what is presented via a share and will not be able to do any form of incremental backup. Share level backups will also always alert to state that the remote agent was not found.

Oh an sorry but I can't provide any performance comparison data as I don't have any

teiva-boy
Level 6

There is no way to really measure this as Colin stated, as there are way too many cocnfigurations supported for NDMP, and file type, size, and QTY all determine overall NDMP performance.

Your best bet is to test and validate yourself.