cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade BE 2010 Exchange Agent to BE 12 SP4 Exchange Agent

Dansk_Jerncentr
Level 3
We have just bought a BE 2010 Exchange Agent and was told that we could downgrade this to use with our BE 12 SP4. I can't finde any info on how to do this, so any help would be much appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Oh ja,

Then its fine. But the license for BEWS 2010 will not work with BEWS 12. Symantec are going to have to give you the license for the BEWS 12.0 version. You will be covered due to owning BEWS 2010 already. The license will activate the agent in BEWS 12.0.
This way then your infrastructure runs BEWS 12.0 across the board, with the option of upgrading when you want to BEWS 2010.

Laters!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Hi dansk,

There is no downgrade procedure to follow.
What you would do is either uninstall the agent on your Exchange server, if it is already installed, and then install the BEWS 12.5 RAWS agent + Exchange license for BEWS 2010 on your media server. This would allow your media server to use the 12.5 agent.
If this is a FULL installation, you would need license keys for 12.5.

Laters!

Dansk_Jerncentr
Level 3
I have not installed any agent on the exchange server.

If i try to enter the license code for the BE 2010 Exchange Agent on my BE 12 it say's "invalid license code".

CraigV
OK, so then you will be doing the following:

1. Installing BEWS 2010 with all your licenses. Exchange, AOFO (free, but tick the installation), SQL...whatever.
2. Download the trial version of BEWS 12.5 here: https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=51791 (If you don't have it already).
3. Run the installation of BEWS 12.5 from your Exchange server itself (the server you want to install the agent on), and select that option.

Once done, your media server will be able to access the RAWS 12.5 agent for backups.

Laters!

Dansk_Jerncentr
Level 3
So just to make it clear.

1: On my current media server, with BE 12 installed, i install BE 2010 with the Exchange Agent license.
2: I then use the BE 12.5 eval to install the Exchange Agent on the exchange server
3: I will then be able to use the Exchange Agent on my BE 12 media server?

Is this correct understood?

CraigV
Wait a second...

1. Do you want to install BEWS 2010? If so, where? Is this an upgrade or a fresh install?
2. Do you want to use the BEWS 12.0 agent, or 12.5? BEWS 2010 will read a 12.5 agent, and MAYBE a 12.0 agent...but not guaranteed with 2 versions back.

Dansk_Jerncentr
Level 3

Today we use BE 12 as back up solution. I now need to backup our exchange server also. I then bought an BE 2010 Exchange Agent as was told that i could downgrade this to a BE 12 Exchange Agent.

So what i want to do is get a BE 12 Exchange Agent to run with our existing BE 12 backup solution.

I hope this makes it clear what i want to achive.

CraigV
Oh ja,

Then its fine. But the license for BEWS 2010 will not work with BEWS 12. Symantec are going to have to give you the license for the BEWS 12.0 version. You will be covered due to owning BEWS 2010 already. The license will activate the agent in BEWS 12.0.
This way then your infrastructure runs BEWS 12.0 across the board, with the option of upgrading when you want to BEWS 2010.

Laters!

teiva-boy
Level 6
LOL, too many geeks on this forum.

You need to get on the phone to call the group at licensing.symantec.com (Look for the contact link).  Tell them about your recent purchase, and your need to downgrade the license to 12.0 keys.  They will turn around and get that to you within 24hrs usually.

CraigV
A geek is technically some nerd that lives IT...and sits in a dark room. That I am not =P

CraigV
Any news here? Has any of this helped? If so, can you close this off then...?

Thanks!

Dansk_Jerncentr
Level 3
Is there an e-mail address i can write to or do i have to call them?

I would like to e-mail as there is no Danish support people.

CraigV
http://www.symantec.com/da/dk/index.jsp

That is the Danish website. Check up for the support link and there will be contact details there...