Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate-job don't run when resource is accessed on remote network via MMS

Mikael_Kolbe
Level 3
Partner
Hi,
In a new setup with a MMS, I'm having problems getting duplicate to tape-library connected on the CAS to work correctly.

Setup:
Backup11: Central Admin Server, HP tape-library, B2D-folders + connected to B2D-folders on Backup12 (shared).
Backup12: Managed Media Server, B2D-folders, on remote location (Gbit connection to central server though).

BackupExec 10.1 Rev. 5629
Windows 2003 R2

Case:
Backup12 is connected to a remote network, with resource only available to that media Server. Selection-lists are generated on Backup12, then copied to Backup11.
After copy of the selectionlists I have to select the Backup12 as destination-media server, as "Any media server. Allow BE to choose" results in failed job as Backup11 cannot connect to the resources.

The jobs are configured with policies on CAS, with 1 weekly full, and 4 incrementals + duplicate of the month's last full to tape-library (located on Backup11).
Backup of the resources are done to B2D on Backup12.

All B2D-jobs runs OK, but the duplicate job never starts.
It just stays "scheduled" in State but job status changes from "linked to another job" to "Ready"...

Duplicate-job of jobs originally backed up by Backup11 does work..

How can I get this to work as wanted?
I have tried to share a B2D on Backup11 with backup12 and then duplicate the backup there, then trailed by the duplicate to tape.. the B2D-B2D runs fine, but still the duplicate to tape doesn't start.
When trying to manually do the duplicate to tape on Backup11, my efforts stops at the selection of resource, as I can't select/see the wanted resources in the wizard on Backup11.

Is the case, that backup11 can't see the resources? And thereby can't select the correct "duplicate selection-list"? If so, how do I get the CAS able to "see" the resources in BE?
Having to specify the media-server for the selection-lists instead of having BE to choose itself, does that have anything to do with it?
I suspect that is has some influence as Backup11 try to run the job, if media-server is not selected to Backup12 in the selection-list on CAS, even that only backup12 can see the resources.. (how is that btw.? Shouldn't Backup12 get the job when Backup11 can't find them?).

Any ideas to what is going wrong or how to do it "the right way"?

Regards,
Mikael K.
3 REPLIES 3

Mikael_Kolbe
Level 3
Partner
Are there no-one with suggestions on this one?

Mikael_Kolbe
Level 3
Partner
Any word from a Symantec Employee on the issue??

I am in big trouble here..
If I can't find the proper solution I will need to implement a workaround by duplicate the needed backup-sets to Backup11 B2D-folders, and then back those up to tape...

This can't be right.. Can it?

Regards,
Mikael K.

Mikael_Kolbe
Level 3
Partner
> When trying to manually do the duplicate to tape on
> Backup11, my efforts stops at the selection of
> resource, as I can't select/see the wanted resources
> in the wizard on Backup11.

Okay.. I have found the answer on above by my self...
I had to move the storing of catalogs from locally on the MMS to the CAS (by redirect it using BEUtility).
Now I can manually select and duplicate the selections, originally backed up by the MMS, from the CAS to the tape-library.

But still, when configured in Policy using selection-lists with media server "hardcoded" to the MMS, I won't get the duplicate to tape to go active.
And still, by setting the media server in the selction-list to "Allow BE to choose", will result in the job trying to run on the CAS-server which has no connection to the resources and therefore the jobs fail.

So how can I do a setup, that will use the MMS (Backup12) to do the actually backup of the resources, and then use the CAS (Backup11) with the tape-library attached, to do the duplicate?

ANY advice on this will be appreciated!

Regards,
Mikael K.