cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate to Tape incomplete or hangs

harsi
Level 5

We are facing the following problem:

We configured policy based backup jobs where we first backup VMware based VMs to disk via VMware agent and afterwards duplicate the backup sets to tape. The backup to disk does not show any problems and seems to work reliable however the duplicate to tape part does not work.

We are facing two symtoms.

1.) The duplication job from the first policy always hangs infinitely after the first GB was beeing duplicated and also cannot be canceled then. You have to restart BE services

2.) The duplication job from the second policy finishes "succesfully without error or warning" from what is shown in job history. However if you take a look at the job history you notice that on some "Detailed set informations" only the starttime is stated and the end time, number of bytes, used media, etc. is missing. Taking a look in the job protocol you can see that those targets are completely missing there.

Anyone having some ideas what's wrong?

BTW: Using BE 2010 R3

Thanks.

Kind Regards.

5 REPLIES 5

harsi
Level 5

To partially answer my own question:

Problem No 1 was solved by installing SP1.

But SP1 caused a new problem that B2D job of No 2 now fails with V-79-57344-38721 for one VM, so I could not answer if initial problem No 2 is also solved by installing SP1.

BTW: What does R3 suffix of BE 2010 R3 stands for? I would assume it means something like release candidate. angry

harsi
Level 5

I stronlgy advise not to install SP1 for BE2010.

Before at least backup to disk worked flawlessly without problems.

Since installing SP1 not a single job finishes without strange errors.

We have to followiing ones:

V-79-57344-33967

V-79-57344-65033

V-79-57344-34108

V-79-57344-38721

Sorry but this software is really crap.

harsi
Level 5

It is constantly failing with V-79-57344-38721 for two out of 25 VMs.

Strange enough that it worked before we applied SP1.

harsi
Level 5

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH170723&key=15047

Problem is mentioned there.

It will not beeing fixed in this release.

This article is 2 days old.

We will try to revert back to pre SP1 state and see if the problem vanishes again.

Great idea to put a regession bug into an SP to force the customers buying the next release.

harsi
Level 5

Problem fixed by uninstalling SP1