cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicating Jobs to removable storage (external hard drives)

Greg_Saunders
Level 4
Hello,

I have an external SATA tower with 4 750GB drives that I have setup as removable backup to disk folders.

I have a number of full backup jobs which run on Saturday (every weekend) and then they duplicate themselves to these external drives.

I created a device pool that held all 4 drives.  My goal was to have one weekend duplicate to the first drive, then I would remove it, and then the next weekend full backups duplicates to the next drive, then remove it... and so on until I rotated some new drives into the mix or put the used ones back in.

The problem I ran into is the duplicate jobs are set to go to the device pool which apparently does some sort of rotation to decided which drive is used in the pool.  I thought it would simply use the first one until full (or removed) and then move to the next drive.  This isn't the case.  It seems to be round-robin in its choice of which device to use in the pool.

Short of me forcing each weeks duplicate to go to individual drives is there a way to get it to continue filling the first drive until full or removed and then move to the next device in the device pool???

I definitely would like to avoid creating many duplicate jobs just to force each weekend to a particular device.

Thanks and hopefully what I said makes sense.

Greg
0 REPLIES 0