cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication Job How-To Advice

JohnDaniels
Level 3
I want to duplicate a backup job so that the the original stays in the cabinet and the duplicate goes off site. I want to be able to schedule the duplication job around 9am so that it occurs after all of the backup jobs completed which is typically around 6am.
Within the interface I can only seem to duplicate existing media sets or have the duplication job run immediately after the backup job.
My setup is:
Four functional drives and six nightly jobs going to 6 different tapes. I have all all the backup jobs going to one partion of 48 slots and the media retenion set for a week.
Then I have a partion of 6 slots for each day of the month.
My thought was that I could duplicate the the job to the media in these slots and make it easy to export/import.
I know this is sort of long winded and I thank anyone for reading it and giving me a hand on this.

Thanks
JD
5 REPLIES 5

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

As you mentioned that you will be taking different backups in the night time targeting them on the slots of Tape device.
Now you want to duplicate all these backups that were run on the previous night.

You can duplicate the existing backup sets (on the next day morning) that ran on the last night.

It is not possible however to schedule this duplicate job.

You can refer the Backup exec admin guide manual, page no # 307 onwards,

You can download the soft copy of the manual from the following link,

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266190.htm

JohnDaniels
Level 3
Well this is an answer, although not what I really wanted to hear... but correct none the less. :)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you want to automate it, you could do some scripting with BEMCMD to get the info needed, then create a new duplicate job and then submit it.

JohnDaniels
Level 3
Is there any documentation that you know of to help writing the scripts?

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Look on the installation CD or the download source files for 9.1 in \WINNT\INSTALL\UTILS\I386 - I can't remember if there was a example script for the duplicate job in there - but check anyway.

FYI the scheduling of Duplicate jobs has been added to BE 10.