Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Job Stop to work after update

Primisuimotori
Level 3

hi guys,

i have a problem.

this weekend i have patched backup exec 2010 r3 with the last update.

after the update, the job for the backup of the enterprise vault, stop to work.

the error is :

-- The job failed with the following error: Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.

of course, i don't have changed nothing in backup server and in the ev server. 

i have tried to uninstall agent on the ev server and i have reinstalled it without success.

what can i try ?

one more thing...if i go in : BACKUP SELECTION LIST and i try to browse enterprise vault ... i don't find nothing. 

Let me know and thanks. 

Best Regards.

19 REPLIES 19

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you able to see your remote servers in Backup selection list under Favorite resources??

Please check as I suspect this could be the reason why you are not able to see EV resources.

Thanks,

-Sush...

AmolB

Make sure the remote agent utility on the EV server contains the media serrver name in the publishing tab.

Also make sure port 10000 is used by the beremote.exe

Have you tried adding the EV server in the user defined selection.

Sush---
Level 6

I think adding the EV server in User defined selection may not help as EV resource has a seperate node to select the resources from...

Thanks,

-Sush...

AmolB

Noted... Thanks :)

Primisuimotori
Level 3

hi and thanks for the answer.

As you can see in the picture that i attach, under enterprise vault i don't find my EV server.

if i try to run the ev backup job ( the full or the incremental job it's the same ) , i have the error.

in the log i read this  :

Backup
Access is denied to Remote Agent. Check the login account for the specified device.
Remote Agent not detected on vault1.server.local

or this

Backup
Access is denied to Remote Agent. Check the login account for the specified device.

of course the firewall in the ev server is down.

Thanks

VJware
Level 6

Is the EV license present in the BE media server  ? Also, what is the version of EV ?

What is the output of the following command when run on the EV server from the \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS cmd...

beremote -console

Sush---
Level 6

I am not able to see any picture here.... (or am I missing anything)....

Are you able to see the EV servers under Favorite resources...??

Thanks,

-Sush...

Primisuimotori
Level 3

hi,

the version of ev is the 10.0 . the last run without problem of the backup job of EV was been the 27 november. the 28 we have updated backupexec and the problems started.

the ev job is not the only what run each day. we have problems only for the ev job

in attach the output of the command : beremote -console.

thanks a lot

Primisuimotori
Level 3

hi ,

no i don't see any ev server under favorite resources. .

thanks

VJware
Level 6

beremote shows references to esebcli2.dll...

try steps per KB - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH59016

Primisuimotori
Level 3

thanks for the answer Vj.

in this server i have only Enterprise servive without exchange.

i don't know how to resolve the problem.

do you think that uninstall and reinstall the agent in the EV server can resolve the problem ?

Best regards.

Marco

VJware
Level 6

Have you checked if there is a port conflict on 10000 ?

Also, does the RAWS service remains starting or does it stop ?

Sush---
Level 6

[6300] 12/01/11 20:42:03 [ndmp\ndmpcomm]      - Could not resolve the "bews-ndmp" or the "ndmp" service, error code: 10109, using port 10000
[6300] 12/01/11 20:42:04 [BESocket]           - @@@@@@@MyCloseSocket called with sockfd = 1012(0x3f4) retval = 0
[6300] 12/01/11 20:42:04 [BESocket]           - @@@@@@@MyCloseSocket called with sockfd = 1008(0x3f0) retval = 0
[6300] 12/01/11 20:42:04 [BESocket]           - BETCPListener::BETCPListener: This system appears to be a Dual Stack system.
[6300] 12/01/11 20:42:04 [BESocket]           - BETCPListener::Bind: Could not bind to port 10000 on IPv6, An error occurred during a socket bind operation: Error Code: 10048, System Error Message: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.
[6300] 12/01/11 20:42:04 [BESocket]           - @@@@@@@MyCloseSocket called with sockfd = 1004(0x3ec) retval = 0
[6300] 12/01/11 20:42:04 [BESocket]           - BETCPListener::Bind: Could not bind to port 10000 on IPv4, An error occurred during a socket bind operation: Error Code: 10048, System Error Message: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.
[6300] 12/01/11 20:42:04 [BESocket]           - @@@@@@@MyCloseSocket called with sockfd = 992(0x3e0) retval = 0
[6300] 12/01/11 20:42:04 [ndmp\ndmpcomm]      - Could not start NDMP Listener on port 10000: An error occurred during a socket creation operation: Error Code: 10048, System Error Message: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.

The above lines from the beremote logs looks to be the error. Seems like Port 10000 is used by some other process so Remote agent is not able to listen over that Port. Can you change the NDMP port to some other port say 12000 and see if it solves the problem.

Thanks,

-Sush... 

Primisuimotori
Level 3
Thanks suh for the answer, Do you can explain me how to change listening port? Thanks . Marco

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24256

Primisuimotori
Level 3

Hi sush...

i have done more troubleshooting in this last hours and this what i can say :

1) on each server where i have backup exec  remote agent, i have the error :

[6300] 12/01/11 20:42:04 [ndmp\ndmpcomm] - Could not start NDMP Listener on port 10000: An error occurred during a socket creation operation: Error Code: 10048, System Error Message: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.

2) all the bukup job don't have any type of problem. the only problem is for EV server. the exchange job work fine, sql job work fine and so on.

3) i have done a BE job on EV server. it backup all the users directory. the job complete successfull.

4) i begin to think that the problem can be on the detection of the EV service or on the EV agent on the Backup Exec server. Can be?

Thanks for all.

Sush---
Level 6

As you mentioned that you are not able to see any servers under Favorite resources, I suspect that you are also not able to see the EV resources for the same reason.

Its somewhere related to the following Known Issue:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/issues/remote-servers-do-not-show-under-favorite-resources-b...

or technote " http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH168154 "

This will not affect other normal files and folder backups will affect EV backups as it depends heavily on publishing.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee

As the above poster mentions, the issue is probably related to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH168154.  Unlike most other Backup Exec agents, the EV agent is dependent on Remote Agent publishing for resource discovery.  With the issue stated in the above technote, your backups may continue to work for a while but without getting publishing updates, eventually the EV entries are purged and EV selections no longer show up.  A fix is being developed for this issue at this time but you are welcome to open a support case to be sure we've identified the issue correctly. 

Russ

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180429

Russ