cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy Questions?

Walter_S__Hutsk
Level 3
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but my daily backups are not working correctly. I keep getting the error E000E020 which says something about a device was not online or the job couldn't be completed in a certain time frame. I know for a fact I have media online and my time windows is long enough. I even performed some test runs before the backup but the backup still fails.

I have it set up so that there is full backup everyday on a tape and then that tape is taken out and a new one is put in. I intially ran an inventory on the drive which labled the tape as LTO00001. After this it kept creating new media lables for each tape I put in the drive. Such as LTO00002....03 and so on.

All I want it to be able to perfrom a full daily backup to a tape that is rotated out everyday and stored off site but nothing seems to be working.

I have a few questions I cannot seem to figure out. Do I have to run an inventory job for each day or can I just let it go and have Backup Exec just think that that same tape is in there everyday?

Does Backup Exec keep the media lable description after you eject a tape and put it back in the drive and does it somehow recognize each tape you put in the drive so I can lable each tape according to the day it is used?

I'm not sure about labling media at all or how I should go about doing it. I have a 5 tapes for every day of the week and one for a weekend backup. All tapes are getting a full backup of 40GB everyday.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks!
1 REPLY 1

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Run tapeinst.exe from BE directory. Choose use Veritas drivers for all devices and check the box to remove all other tape drivers. You might want to remove the drivers first, reboot, run tapeinst.exe again and install the Veritas drivers. What OS and SP are you running. Which BE version and SP?