cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eject tape

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi,

Dell Power valt 124 with LTO5 tapes that has an labe reader, I did create an backup tape with this device and today I bring it at the client side and they have an Dell device with single drive without any lable reader, we want to resoter some files from this tape I put the tape in thier device and run inventory  after it is finish I can see the tape without any name and has an ? for the name, after that when I try to catalog the tape afte minut or so device eject the tape and in the BE console it says media loading and I did try this 2 or 3 times but each time the tape get ejected. I did remove the check mark of "Use storage media-based catalogs" under Tools-option-catalog and then run the catalog again, but it eject the tape.

Any idea why is this heppening?

Shahin

12 REPLIES 12

Manjunath_Rajan
Level 4
Certified

Might want to try running tracer on the server to see when the eject command is getting sent to the tape drive, this may help to determine what is making it eject. If it's not ejecting at the end of the backup, another process may be trying to use the drive and ejects the tape.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Dell device with single drive without any lable reader

Which model is that tape drive?

It must be a LTO 5 drive.....

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since your tape is a LTO5 tape, the other tape drive MUST be a LTO5 tape drive to read it.  If the tape drive is LTO4 or earlier, then it would not be able to read the LTO5 tape.

Shahin123
Level 6

I did check the single drive tape and it is LTO05 and it is Dell powervault LTO5-140 and the device that  the backup was created on it is powervault 124 LTO5 tape library.

both media servers have windows 2008 R2 and BE 2010 R2.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are the tapes hardware encrypted?

Refer to below discussion: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2010-r2-tape-ejects-catalog-restore-backup

Shahin123
Level 6

I dont think we use the encryption, but where can I check this?

Shahin123
Level 6

both drives are LTO5

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

It sounds like the tape you inserted at the customer's site could be part of a multi-tape set...meaning data backed up across two tape and this is one of them.  Backup Exec could be ejecting the tape and asking for another one.  If so, then that's the reason for the ejct.  If not, then you could be dealing with something else.  Go to the alerts tab and check for an alert associated for the current operation you are running.  It should help you determine why the cartridge is being ejected.

Shahin123
Level 6

yes it is possible that the backup Multiple spanned set, but even so when this option Tool-Option-catalog  is unchecked then you can catalog the tapes that has Multiple spanned backup.

I did check the alert and onl can see this:

The media in drive 'IBM 1' is written in an unrecognized format. Erase the media to make it usable.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Hmm

It really sounds like the second drive is not an LTO-5 drive

or else the header has become corrupted

Can you still read the tape on the drive it was create on??

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

When the backup job was run using the PV 124T library, did the backup job include the "verify" option to make sure the tape was readable?

Shahin123
Level 6

Thanks for you updates,

No the verifiy is not enabled on this backup job, becuse it is a full backup and would take long time to get verifiy.

Also I have some partitions on the Dell 124 library and this tape was in one of these partitions, when tape in this partiton was full I removed it from its partition to other slot when I did that I could see that this tape is offline. Becuse, this backup library 124 where the tape was created is in a data center one of my olleagues about 3 days ago brought this tape and some other tapes to office so I didnt get the chance to cataloge it on the same machine, one of our customer has an LTO5 single drive backup machine so I though lets do a cataloge on thier machine and now the tape get Ejected.

Thanks