Did you mean: 

End of Media @ 36G on 72G drive

Scythe
Level 2
Why are we getting ZERO Compression?

Server: HP ML350G3  - 5x73G HDA (RAID5) - Xeon 3.0Ghz CPU
NWTAPE.CDM is NOT loaded
BECDM.CDM v 7.50  (2/7/06)
SCSI Driver: ADPT160M.HAM v18.21.13  (2/21/03)
BE Version: 9.1 r 1158
BE Drivers: 0011N024 (Also tried 0011N022)
Drive: HP Surestore DAT 72 (72G Compressed) internal (C7438A)
End of Tape message between 34-36GB.
Job Compression:  Hardware & 8k blocks (Also tried Software & 64k blocks)
Ran HP's Library & Tape Tools and confirmed Compression Enabled on hardware.
They just got to 36G of data, so this has probably been a issue from 'Day 1' (3 yrs ago) but we didn't know.
I've installed all of the current patches for 9.1 and the latest drivers for 9.1, and installed the updated drivers for 9.2 that they say should work with 9.1 but haven't been tested.
Nothing has had any effect, and after several weeks of this we have tried a number of existing tapes and new tapes.

Why are we getting ZERO compression?

edit: I have screen shots of all the config screen from the admin consle if that would be helpful.

Message Edited by qwertyasdfg on 01-24-2008 10:15 AM

Message Edited by qwertyasdfg on 01-24-2008 10:17 AM
2 REPLIES 2

criley
Employee Accredited
The volumes on the NetWare server(s) that you are backing up - are they already compressed? If so, Backup Exec wont be able to compress the data any further (data can only be compressed once).

Scythe
Level 2
Thanks for the reply.

Yes they are compressed, but we don't have 36GB of data that's already compressed on the server, so I don't beleive that's what the problem is.  It's behaving EXACTLY like there's no compression on the drive, but the HP utilitiy said it is enabled.   :(

Any other ideas?
Anyone....halp!

Since NetWare is patched-up and BE is Patched-up the only other thing I can think of is to update the SCSI Cntl driver, though I think that will be futile.