cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1065 The Database specified does not exist

chrisfricke
Not applicable
I have a new install of BUExec 10 w/ SQL Agnt and OFO.
The server is Windows 2003 Srv Std. SP1 running SQL 2000 sp3a. It is a brand new server, this is the initial setup. During the installation I chose to use the local SQL 2000 server instance instead of installing the local MSDE SQL engine to store the backup exec data. The installation went without errors but the services will not start and I get the error above when I try to start the Device and Media Service. I have tried different service logon accounts and removed and reinstalled the software. I have also noticed that in the SQL enterprise manager the database that Veritas creates is marked as "read only". if I try to change that database attribute, I get errors saying the database file may be missing.
I don't think anything is wrong with the SQL setup, I can successfully create and edit test databases. I have also tried the procedure I found on the Veritas knowledge base, which applies to this error. It involved running the Veritas utility, BEUtility, and adding the server name. It said this problem only happens if you have changed the name of the server. I haven't changed the name, The server was a domain controller before I started the Veritas installation. But this procedure didn't have any effect.
Any ideas or help is appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer the following technotes.

Title:
The Backup Exec 10.0 Device and Media Service does not start, with the error: "The database specified does not exist." after changing the Backup Exec Server information, like the server name or the domain name.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/274119

Title:
When trying to start Backup Exec, the following error may be encountered: "The Backup Exec Server system service is not responding. The service is not running or not installed."
http://support.veritas.com/docs/267326

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked
assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Paul_Hirschorn
Not applicable
I am experiencing this same problem under the same circumstances. Did the information contained in the reply sent to you resolve your problem?

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hi,

With reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

Thanks.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ray_Cellucci
Not applicable
I am experiencing the exact same problem as the original poster, with the only difference being the server is not a domain controller. I've tried both suggestions posted, neither of which worked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Roland_Fekete
Level 2
Exactly the same problem. On windwos 2000 and windows 2003 servers. Clean install. SQL 2000 SP4.
MDAC 2.8 - OK.

Roland_Fekete
Level 2
Exactly the same problem. On windwos 2000 and windows 2003 servers. Clean install. SQL 2000 SP4.
MDAC 2.8 - OK.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Verify if the MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service is running under LSA.
Start the service under LSA and verify if it starts.

Go to Beutility and do a relaod from base and verify.
(title) How to create a new SQL database in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 when the original database is corrupt and cannot be repaired
http://support.veritas.com/docs/254014
Note : in this case you would loose all your media set and logon accounts configuration.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Anonim_W
Level 3
I am having exactly the same problem that chrisfricke described in his post above. I've installed Backup Exec 10.0 on a brand new Windows 2003 server with SQL 2000 SP4. I chose to use my local SQL instance instead of installing the MSDE. There were no errors during the install. After restarting the machine, I get the Error 1065: The database specified does not exist.

Neither the name nor the domain of the computer have been changed at any time, so the support article at http://support.veritas.com/docs/274119 does not apply.

When I look at the BEDB database in SQL Enterprise Manager, I see that it is marked as read-only. If I try to remove this attribute, I get an error saying the "physical filename may be incorrect" for both the .mdf and .ldf files. I can successfully detach and re-attach the BEDB database using Enterprise Manager per the support article at http://support.veritas.com/docs/274102. However, it is still re-attached with read-only attributes.

I attempted to recreate the database by following the instructions at http://support.veritas.com/docs/254014. However, the database recovery operation fails with the message "Database recovery for server MyServer ended with errors". I don't see where I can get any details about what the errors are.

To answer Tejashree's question, only the Backup Exec Remote Agent service is set to run under the LocalSystem account. The rest of the Backup Exec services are all set to run under the account "Veritas", which is a member of the local Administrators group.

Please help...

Roland_Fekete
Level 2
I have installed it with the msde option and i have disabled the rsm service. It works now...

Anonim_W
Level 3
I don't want to use the MSDE. The MSDE is just a scaled-down version of the full SQL database engine. Since I'm already running SQL for web applications, I'd like to integrate the BEDB database into the existing SQL instance. Thanks for your suggestion though.. Has anyone else installed Backup Exec without installing MSDE?

Laurent_Binard
Level 3
To answer your question: I did... but the way of doing it was horrible:

Brand new servers (HP Proliant DL380 G4), new OS (W2K3 SP1) and existing remote SQL server (but new, running SQL2000SP4).

Installation of BE10.5484 or 5520 => impossible to make a remote SQL installation.
So, MSDE installation and than transfer the MSDE to SQL => does not work
So, test with another server W2K3 and another SQL server => possible to make the installation on this server, and then move the SQL to the required SQL server

Now... impossible to patch the BE server...

But now if I want to make a reinstallation of BE with the SQL remote... IT WORKS... but still impossible to patch BE.

If you want more information, I can give you all the details (log files, emails with Veritas-Symantec and so on)

What you can do, is take the LDF and MDF files (located in the C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NT\Data), copy them to your SQL server, attach them within the enterprise manager (see if it succeds), and then with the BEUtility transfer the database from your actual server to the SQL server.

But be aware that you could lose all your job definitions, schedules, everything (that happened to me, I was VERY happy and thank you know who ;-)).

Yours.

h_klkl
Not applicable
Had the same problem myself with the newest trial version.
Solved it by giving the service account full control over the C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data directory

If you don't do this the database will indeed be listed as read only and the service fails to start.

Note: this is only needed if you run your sql server instance under a non administrator account!

Anonim_W
Level 3
Yup this is exactly the same way I solved the problem. By default, the user account you run your SQL service under is given full control to the SQL directory with the .mdf and .ldf files for all the databases.. but the BEDB database files are stored under the directory that h_klkl mentions, so you must manually grant rights to the user for that directory as well.