cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 57860 - backing up files on sql server

Robert_Firth
Level 3
I'm getting these errors when backing up my sql servers, but note I'm not attempting to backup mdf or ldf's. I have renamed the bdsql.dll file as suggested on the error troubleshooting guide but still getting the below error, any ideas as to why?

Wed Jun 14 03:00:29 2006: /Backup Exec (57860) - An error occurred while attempting to log in to the following server:
. SQL error number: 4818.
SQL error message: Login failed for user ''. .
For more information, click the following link: http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml �
15 REPLIES 15

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Are the backups running fine? Are you running online backups of SQL? Are there more than one instances of the bdsql.dll file on the machine?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Firth
Level 3
We actually had 3 servers with the previous same errors. 2 were windows 2003 servers, on these the file: bedssql2,dll file existed I renamed it and the 57860 error disappeared, however on these servers we still have these VSS errors:

ERR] Thu Jun 15 03:31:12 2006: LTREEUKBARKDR/VSS (6013) - Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling IDBInitialize::Initialize. hr = 0x80040e4d. SQLSTATE: 42000, Native Error: 18456 Error state: 1, Severity: 14 Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Error message: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'.

On the Windows 2000 server however we didn't haven't the bedssql2.dll file on the server to rename and we continue to get the 57860 error.

The backups are successful, and we're not runnign online backups (open database files using the sql agent).

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

This error occurs due to insufficient rights of the logon account. You may
refer following technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/251942

Ensure the following:
The remote agent is running with a local system account on the target SQL server.

The credentials stored in the Backup Exec logon account used for backing up and restoring SQL must have been granted the System Administrator role on the SQL instance.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Robert_Firth
Level 3
I'm afraid I'm not using the sql agent to backup the databases. I am simply backing up the files that were created using native sql backup commands.

The backup exec account job is using a domain administrator account.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you taking an offline backup of SQL database?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Firth
Level 3
I don't know what yoyu mean by offline backup. I am simply getting a backup of a datasbase backup up file (.bak). The sql server agent is not beign used.

A native sql backup creates a file, I then use backup exec to back up that file to tape. It should have absolutely no involvement with sql server at all.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

A offline SQL backup means. Are you trying the SQL Backup after stopping all the Sql services?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Firth
Level 3
no, I don't (and can't) stop the services for a backup.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

So are you backing up the SQL database without stopping the services and without the SQL Agent? And are the backups successful?

Robert_Firth
Level 3
I'm sure I have covered and answered this question previously. Anyway, I am backing up the database without stopping the services and without having a sql agent, and the backups are indeed successful.

However as all error messages must be reported every week this is a nuisance!

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

It is usually suggested that the SQL database be backed up with the SQL agent if the SQL services are running. Are you also running AOFO?

Robert_Firth
Level 3
AOFO hasn't been set on (Advanced Open File Option).

We do not want to purchase the agents as our backup solution works as is (aprt from all these errors!). As far as I am concerned these are standard files.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Are you also backing up the Shadow copy components of the server in the same backup?

Robert_Firth
Level 3
Hello, No, I'm not backing up the shadow components.

I don't know whats these are or how I might use these if I did select them.

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer to the following Technote.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/264616

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.