cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error MAPI

_THOR_
Level 3

I have Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP2 5204 Review - Hotfix 180429

I am having problems making a backup of an Exchange 2003 SP2 the Exchange Mailbox and Echange Public folder. It makes a backup but is in the log gives the error "Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials". I have reviewed the KB (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125776&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...) and i am fulfilling all the requirements.

I can look further?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Ensure all the requirements mentioned below are met :

1. The account being used for backup must have a mailbox on the exchange server.

2. The mailbox must be active

3. The mailbox should not be hidden from the Global Address List

4. The account is a Domain Admin and must be added in Exchange System Manager as an "Exchange full Administrator"

5. The account must have a unique name example BackupExec / BEAccount / etc.

See this technote for more details --> http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH146520

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1. The account used for backups need to have an active mailbox which is not hidden from the Exchange Address list.

2 This account needs to be a member of the Full Administrator group in Exchange.

3. If you are performing a backup to disk check if this account is the same as the Backup Exec Service Account.

4. Could you confirm if the RAWS on the Exchange Server is updated

This technote should help

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64095

_THOR_
Level 3

Hi,

1.- The account used for backup is DOMAIN\administrator (Domain Admin) and mailbox is active and not hidden from the Global Address List

2.- The account  is add Exchange System Manager as an "Exchange full Administrator".

3.-  RAWS on the Exchange Server is updated

4.-   Backup Exec Service Account: DOMAIN\administrator in server.

Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems is Local System

5.- In the test credential is error:  An error has occurred device-specific ¿?

Thanks

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Can you perfrom this little test?

1. Go to Tools - Options - Microsoft Exchange - check Enable Legacy Mailbox support

2. Restart all Backup Exec services on media server

3. Restart the RAWS services on Exchange Server

4. Go to the backup selections - expand your Exchange Server name - now you will see "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" along with Information Store.

5. Attempt to expand Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes and see if you are able to get a list of mailboxes to populate with any errors?

If you see the same error for MAPI, crate a new account with all the requirements met - Set it as the Default Logon account and Services Credentials and try again.

_THOR_
Level 3

1.- Enable Legacy Mailbox support (enable)

2.- Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes / Public Folders (I see the entire list and without errors)

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

are you attempting to restore from a tape device?

if yes, can you attempt to perform a Duplicate to B2D

thn attempt to restore using the disk copy?

_THOR_
Level 3

The error is when ending the backup. In the log if i see that they have done backup of the mailboxes, but i have not attempted to restore.

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Can you paste the contents of the Error section of your Job log? (replace your server names/ipaddresses/etc with something like Temp/Test)

Also, can yo create a brand new account with all the required permissions, set it as your default logon account and services account and attempt to run a backup to see if that workS?

** Edited: Make sure your Backup Exec 2010 R3 is fully patched with the latest service pack and hotfixes AND the remote agent on Exchange server is also up-to-date.

Service Pack 2 + Hotfix 180429 had a similar known issue resolved (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH155199)

_THOR_
Level 3

A question:

The credentials fallana if is configured by active directory: exchange.domain.com 

if you are going to microsoft netowk : exchange    works

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Sorry i didn't quite understand the question... indecision

_THOR_
Level 3

Doing tests i have encountered this:

If you are on the list of the selected backup Exchange server by Active Directory (exchange.domain.com) the credentials fail.

If you configured by the Microsoft Network (MAIL), i understand that it is NetBios, the credentials work

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Which means it works using NetBIOS and not using the FQDN.

Make sure all is well with your domain name resolution/FQDN resolution...  However, if the credentials are working fine using NetBIOS selections, you can use that to backup your Exchange IS. As long as the job completes successfully, it is good!