cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error V-225-131 during (invisible) upgrade from Backup Exec 10d

Elkinator
Level 2
I have attempted to upgrade our Backup Exec 10d to 11d several times, each with the same error in the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\bkupinst.htm" file:

03-07-2007,09:08:14 : InitData failed to open the cluster wrapper
03-07-2007,09:08:15 : InitData failed to open the cluster wrapper
03-07-2007,09:08:15 : V-225-131: Error in UPG_ migrate function ***To search for information about this error, click here
03-07-2007,09:08:15 : 16383 ->Error returned from migration.
03-07-2007,09:08:15 : Stopping BE services.

The "click here" goes to a symantec web page with "No answers were found that matched your question and filter settings."

After reading the whole log, it appears that the error is causing a rollback of the installation, which isn't completely rolling back as it has corrupted the tape library drivers.

To add insult to injury, the installation progress window disappears after the MSXML and SQL checks. NOTHING is on the screen indicating that anything is happening or if it is finished or not. I let it run for 8 hours and nothing comes up. It leaves the backup exec services shut down.

I have tried the install about a dozen times both from a terminal services session and the local console.

Since it appears to fail as a result of :

03-07-2007,09:08:15 : V-225-131: Error in UPG_ migrate function ***To search for information about this error, click here
03-07-2007,09:08:15 : 16383 ->Error returned from migration.

Does anyone know what this error means?
3 REPLIES 3

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
Scott,
Simply put, there was a problem migrating your 10d data to the 11d install.
You have two choices-continue to troubleshoot the upgrade problem, or uninstall 10d, and reinstall 11d.
Before choosing either path, you should retry the 11d install and pay close attention to the Pre-install environment check-make sure you address any warnings or errors that are presented.

You can also try backing up your 10d data, then uninstalling 10d and then install 11d fresh and use the following technote to upgrade your data.
Let us know your results.
Thanks,
Daniel

Elkinator
Level 2
Thanks for your reply, Daniel, and I apologize for not updating this thread as I have already moved around the issue. I ended up calling Symantec Customer Support and enduring the horrible support chain. They didn't know what the error really meant, so they went with their company wide mantra:

"You call, we reinstall, that's all."

Here's the steps I went through, which I was able to do 3 times before getting thier instructions from thier return call:

1. On production machine, shut down backup exec services and SQL services. Copy the �Catalogs� and �Data� folders from the �C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT� directory to another location.
2. On production machine, uninstall Backup Exec 10d
3. On production machine, install Backup Exec 11d
4. Install Backup Exec 10d on a fresh new virtual or physical machine (called �Test Machine� here forward) with the same computer name as the production machine. I used a workgroup configuration with the network disconnected and it worked fine. The names must be identical prior to installing Backup Exec.
5. On the test machine, shut down backup exec services and SQL services. Overwrite the �Catalogs� and �Data� folders in �C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT� with the ones you copied out in step 1.
6. On the test machine, start up services (or reboot) and check for catalog and job migration from old machine.
7. Upgrade test machine to 11d.
8. If the upgrade worked and the catalogs and jobs are still there, proceed to next step.
9. On the test machine and production machine, shut down backup exec services and SQL services. Copy the �Catalogs� and �Data� folders from the �C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec� on the test machine to the same location on the production machine.
10. Reboot or start up all Backup Exec and SQL services on production machine.

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
Thank you for the follow up and the feedback.